Potential new dive boat?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bdrannik

Contributor
Reaction score
This weekend I'm probably heading over to the east coast of
FL to check out a possible dive boat.. It's a 21' Chris-Craft
Center Console with a 260hp V8 I/O. The engine needs
rebuilding, thinking about a 350hp 383 should do the trick. hehe..
It has an interesting drivetrain layout: the V8 is in the
center of the boat under the "steering station" with a
driveshaft running to a standard MerCruiser sterndrive in
the back with power tilt/trim etc.

Plans for it so far:
--Roll Control adjustable tank holders.
--Strip hull to bare and buff/polish it.
--Replace wood in sringers/transom with SeaCast
composite replacements.
--New cushions/seats with Chris-Craft embroidery logos.
--Add a T-Top and possibly a rear canvas bimini that
would snap to the rear of the hard top.
--48" 4 step "T" ladder on the rear that can be climbed
while wearing fins.
--New engine (Drag racing buddy has plenty of spares :wink: )
--Possibly a new/rebuilt DuoProp or Bravo 3 outdrive.

Does anybody have a source for reasonably priced T-Tops
to keep the sun off? Any other recommendations on
needed accessories?

Chuck Tribolet:
260 HP should be plenty in a boat that size. 350 HP would
probably be overkill. And you don't want a fragile drag race
motor. You wanta station wagon motor that will run and
run and run.

I reckon 260 would be overkill too, unless you just want a hot rod. I have a 22 foot, deep V, center console with a 115 four stroke. I get 38 mph out of it. If I go into the sea I don't go more than 18-20 mph if it's choppy. Plus gas is US$4.20 per gallon here.

"Replace wood in stringers/transom with Seacast"

What's seacast.

If you're replacing stringers, transom and engine, and possibly the outdrive, you might want to look at another boat.

DennisS:
"Replace wood in stringers/transom with Seacast"

What's seacast?

Check out transomrepair.com...

It's great for repairing damaged parts or "upgrading" transoms
and stringers for a higher power level safety factor..

I've got an 83 Wellcraft 230 aft cabin with a 260 HP 5.7 ltr V8 and an Alpha One set up for diving with all the extras for sale right now. The engine is a 1995 with about 150 hours on it and the out drive is a 1998. The stringers have already been replaced, two new batteries, new engine coupler, rebuilt carb, new water pump impeller in the out drive and new marine water pump on the engine, new cushions in the cabin, two burner stove, sink, frig, and head, trim tabs, 8 new life jackets, new anchor with 250 feet of rode and chain, spare prop, prop wrench, VHF radio, flare kit, depth finder and roll control tank racks installed on the main deck. It's sitting on a rebuilt tandom axle trailer with a half tank of gas ready to go. I'm asking $4000 for it. Runs 35 mph at WOT.

If anyone is interested in it let me know.

More pictures of the posted here

That's a lot of work to do on a boat. Plus I'm not too thrilled with sterndrives in salt water. They were originally designed for the Great Lakes. When you whack a log or cargo net with the lower leg, they never seem to work quite right after that; plus on almost all of the sterndrive-equipped boats I worked on when I had a small boatyard, with the exception of the Radon hulls, they all had massive corrosion problems in the engine compartment. A center-mounted engine with the extended driveshaft would help alleviate a lot of that.
With all the storms that hit Florida, there are some great deals on used boats if you do some legwork.
I just bought an older 30' Century center console with twin 250 Yamahas. It's bigger than what I wanted, but damn is it nice for diving. And 50mph transits are fun too - it's a 90-second run to the Hydro Atlantic once the Boca Inlet is cleared. Gonna repower it with ETecs in a year or so to cut down on the gas consumption.

Tom,

Sounds like you got a nice boat. I wasn't to thrilled with the stern drive myself but hay, it was free, all I had to do was put it back together. And as they say this is a happy day for me, I'm closing the sale on the boat in a couple of hours. :dazzler1:

Next time you make run to the Hydro and you have a couple of open spots let me know. I dived the wreck for the first time just two weeks ago and would love to go again. I've got a buddy that would jump at the chance to go as well, and of course we'd be more then happy to help out with that gas situation. :wink:

Closing the sale ---> that's the second happiest day of a boat owner's life.

You got that right, the first being the day I got it. I can't say bought it sense I got it free. And on top of that with the money I got from selling it I just bought a set of Faber 108's with a Thermo manifold and DR bands. They'll work a whole lot better then the AL 90's I have now. I can't wait to try them out.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom