Powerhead modification

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

unless it's for Comercial Harvest or Predator protection it always seemed like cheating to me.... Never met a fish they didn't have a gun big enough for....

I would never use a powerhead on a game fish. Just wouldn't do it. It's not necessary and it ruins too much meat.
When I was using powerheads we were ignorant; we were trying to rid our waters of sharks, because we believed all sharks were nothing but maniacal killing machines, dangerous and also eating the game fish.
I haven't used a powerhead in over 40 years.
Rick

Rick,I agree,it does ruin alot of meat unless its a head shot but then I not using a 12 ga shell either!Using a powerhead is effective only on certain angles(like head on or broadside)a paralizer can cover the rest,As for cheating,whats the difference between putting a spear into a fish than a bullet?the object is to kill it quickly isn't it? you still have to get close to it.I havent heard a good argument not to use one yet nor do I expect to,emotions run high on this subject and thats it (an emotional argument) just like gun control.Emote away:)
Thanks
Ray

Ray2:
Rick,I agree,it does ruin alot of meat unless its a head shot
Some of the best meat on a nice sized game fish is cheek meat and throat meat. The simple fact is that a powerhead, regardless of size or where it hits, ruins more meat than a spear. That alone is reason enough for me, a gustatory kind of guy, to use a spear instead. No emotion, just quantity, quality and taste.
Good hunting...
Rick

Ok Rick next chance I get I will repent for my evil thoughts,to the spear god:)All I wanted to know was if anybody had removed the spring on a powerhead.I value your knowledge and wisdom in all things diving so lets just agree to disagree and leave it at that.
Thanks
Ray

Just make sure it's legal to harvest fish in that manner in your area. In many locations, taking fish with a powerhead is illegal.

Walter:
Just make sure it's legal to harvest fish in that manner in your area. In many locations, taking fish with a powerhead is illegal.
Thanks Walter,
It is illegal in FL.state waters,you have to be in international waters.Your warning is well taken as you may lose all your gear and alot of money,no fun in that!I will follow all the related laws covering this,it's the only way.
Ray

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom