pre fundies tips tricks?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

on that same token though, don't blow off dusting off the skills from time to time... especially if you think you are going to mentor someone new.

All things in moderation :wink: (except diving that is... dive dive dive!!!)

Fundamentals is just that... it helps build a foundation. Once you have that in place, it's getting out and diving that makes you a better diver.

Some skills definitely need to be isolated and practiced -- S-drills and valve shutdowns are two good examples. But most of the rest of what you learn is stuff you will use in all your diving and can be practiced on any sort of dives. Nicole is right; it's important not to drill to the point of burnout, or to lose sight of the reasons why you began to dive in the first place.

But skills practices are fun to do. I like to do them in the wintertime, when I've been heard to say that the viz is great but there is nothing to see in it. And recently, we've been doing some skills dives in the lake, because the viz in the sound has been so poor that diving there wasn't very rewarding, anyway.

SLOW DOWN, SLOW DOWN.... Do every skill super SLOW..... You will not be judged on how fast you do things. I still here Bob Sherwood telling me this every time I do a drill. :D

"Slow is smooth, and smooth is fast."

"Slow is smooth, and smooth is fast."

You must be watching to much Days of Thunder....lol.... :D

You must be watching to much Days of Thunder....lol.... :D

Its a common saying in the military, along with "go slow to go fast".

Probably has a long history in one form or another.

Its a common saying in the military, along with "go slow to go fast".

It's a common saying in my instructor's tech courses...

At least the ones where I was one of the students.

:eyebrow:

Interesting thread here... lots of opinions and good advice.

I think the biggest couple of things I've gleaned from this and other threads is:

1) Practice doesn't make Perfect - Perfect Practice makes Perfect

Fundies is about identifying what you need to do to get "right"... going into fundies having practiced things incorrectly will just mean you have to "unlearn" the bad habits

2) Some easy things to work on make a big difference

Squaring your gear away ahead of time rather than making changes in gear during class helps get to the good stuff. Get a good 1/2 dozen or dozen dives in using the gear you plan on using for class is recommended -- showing up to class with brand new gear you're not used detracts from things.

Communication -- Communication -- Communication. Timid doesn't work. Square away on hand signals and pre-dive communication. Again one of the biggest things that can detract from the other things is not knowing how to communicate above and below water.

Very interesting post. Some things I could have predicted, some unexpected. All good advise. I am still willing to read and learn if anyone has anything more to add. If any of you finds themselves lost and in Missouri and don't mind diving in a muddy quarry I would consider it an honor to dive with you.

If any of you finds themselves lost and in Missouri and don't mind diving in a muddy quarry I would consider it an honor to dive with you.

How close are you to Bon Terre Mine?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom