Pregnant hammerhead shark found dead at Delray Beach

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

joystershell

Social Butterfly
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
35 pups the shark was carrying couldn’t be saved

53562575.jpg
This 13-foot shark washed up around 3 p.m. Friday, April 30, 2010, in the 200 block of North Ocean Boulevard with a hook in its mouth. (Mary O'Malley, handout / April 28, 2010)

By Jerome Burdi, Sun Sentinel 6:17

fl-shark-delray-20100430
rating_off.jpg
rating_off.jpg
rating_off.jpg
rating_off.jpg
rating_off.jpg

Delray Beach
The massive bloody carcass of a pregnant great hammerhead carried 35 dead pups in her belly when she washed ashore on Delray Beach. They can serve as a reminder: Man is the greatest predator.
The shark, considered endangered by advocates, had a large tear in its mouth from a fisherman's hook.
"The biggest problem hammerheads are facing is definitely people," said Mikki McComb, a shark researcher at Florida Atlantic University.
Hammerheads are notorious fighters when challenged for sport. The problem is after the struggle, they become exhausted and frequently drown, experts say.
"Hammerhead sharks appear to be the most vulnerable to capture stress and prone to post-release mortality," said Neil Hammerschlag, director at R.J. Dunlap Marine Conservation Program at the University of Miami. "While fighting on a line, their normal swimming ability is greatly impaired, making it difficult for them to pump water over their gills."
The 13-foot shark washed up about 3 p.m. Wednesday in the 200 block of North Ocean Boulevard, and a large crowd gathered around.
Brendal Davis, a researcher at R.J. Dunlap, was at the beach that day when she noticed the commotion. She helped try to save the pups, but when she cut open their mother's body, she realized it was too late.
"She was very healthy pregnant female," Davis said. "It's not very often we find hammerheads that large anymore…It was heartbreaking."
Davis suspected the female shark was 20 to 30 years old and was about a month away from giving birth.
It's important to maintain large predators in the sea to keep checks over fish populations, she said.
A witness did see fishermen in the area about 5 a.m. Wednesday. They had a camper pickup with a shark fishing club bumper sticker, police said.
Police are not investigating because it is unclear where the hook came from and whether a crime was committed, police spokesman Jeff Messer said.
"Hammerheads can be recreationally and commercially harvested," Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission spokeswoman Gabriella Ferraro said. "They are not a prohibited species."
The FWC does not consider great hammerheads endangered.
One of the greatest threats to hammerheads is being hunted for shark fin soup, researchers said.
Recreational diver Scott Williams, 35, of Delray Beach, had the rare opportunity of seeing the deceased shark, then a few hours later seeing a live one while diving about a mile off shore.
After seeing the size of the dead one, he hoped to never run into one under the sea. But when he did, from a 30-yard distance, he was enchanted. The full-grown shark took a look at him, then craned its massive head back down, apparently looking for food.
"It was elegant. I wasn't scared like I thought I would be," Williams said. "It was real docile. It didn't seem aggressive in any way. I was awestruck."
The remains of the dead shark were buried on the beach nearby.
Staff Researcher Barbara Hijek contributed to this report.
Jerome Burdi can be reached at jburdi@SunSentinel.com or 561-243-6531.

How awful! At least the article offers some compassion, but your other link is really appalling. Talk about sensationalism. Thanks for sharing.

It is unfortunate when a preggo mother dies and more little ones are not set free to live in the sea. Be it lobster or Hammerhead. -- After the scientist where done gutting her for her pups what did they do with the rest of the shark Hopefully someone smoked the steaks and did not do a round circle of KoomBaYa in a funeral pyre.

Damned shame! Our group saw one about 8 feet long off Boca this morning as well as 3 Bulls

I realize that probably thousands of these sharks were killed or just died of old age today.
Buy I am still sad to see this loss.
I am not sure if the fisherman was the absolute cause of this death, and many many fishermen do not want to kill sharks, but the possibility that a hook and leader coupled with fatigue or stress is why I really prefer spearfishing.
Chug
Digs Sharks.....except when they scare me.

How awful! At least the article offers some compassion, but your other link is really appalling. Talk about sensationalism. Thanks for sharing.

Arizona, I saw this newspaper story this morning, on the front page of the Broward county edition of The Sun Sentinel. What I posted was their on-line version, and whatever links it included. As for your statement about the appalling link of sensationalism, blame that on the media. Unfortunately, "If it Bleeds, it Leads". :shakehead:

Arizona, I saw this newspaper story this morning, on the front page of the Broward county edition of The Sun Sentinel. What I posted was their on-line version, and whatever links it included. As for your statement about the appalling link of sensationalism, blame that on the media. Unfortunately, "If it Bleeds, it Leads". :shakehead:

Joy,

Figured as such. It just really gets to me the sensationalism around sharks in the media in general. The way an 'attack' is presented when in fact the shark is being harassed or it was a result of the plain old stupid factor.

I really appreciate you posting this story as I am far from home and don't always read the Florida papers. "If it Bleeds, it Leads" so true.

Joy,

Figured as such. It just really gets to me the sensationalism around sharks in the media in general. The way an 'attack' is presented when in fact the shark is being harassed or it was result of the plain old stupid factor.

I really appreciate you posting this story as I am far from home and don't always read the Florida papers. "If it Bleeds, it Leads" so true.

You're welcome. I thought you were accusing me of sensationalism by posting that appalling link. So, are you originally from this area?

Really? They burried it on Delray Beach? I'd hate to be laying out anywhere near that thing.

Yes, that is a rather disgusting thought. :shakehead:

soamelt:
Where you on the Diversity this morning?

He was scheduled to dive with them again today. Chuck was to drive, so that Cap't Tony could dive with his speargun, hunting down those pesky LionFish I spotted the other day.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom