Pregnant hammerhead shark found dead at Delray Beach

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It's within the kill and accuracy range of the gun, so ya I'm going to take the shot and I'd do it again. The only reason I did get a kill shot was because of poor aim from this inexperienced shooter. I did nail two hogs the same day from about 15' away with perfect head shots.

I do feel bad that I wounded it, but it's not much different from all the lobsters you see with missing antenna's. The intention is obviously to catch/kill, but hunting isn't always pretty (in the water or out).

Shooting from 20' away on scuba is not sport and as you said your poor aim from an inexperienced shooter has left a fish to suffer needlessly, hunting is shooting and catching what you are going to eat either in or out of the water. If you shoot it and wound it normal practice is to follow through that is the sport, not wildly shooting everything in sight from maximum range and then looking for the next target. Get a grip.

Shooting from 20' away on scuba is not sport and as you said your poor aim from an inexperienced shooter has left a fish to suffer needlessly, hunting is shooting and catching what you are going to eat either in or out of the water. If you shoot it and wound it normal practice is to follow through that is the sport, not wildly shooting everything in sight from maximum range and then looking for the next target. Get a grip.

Like I said, I shot two from a few feet closer earlier. Confidence was high (especially since this was a much bigger target). You don't get better without practice. I don't like to injure/maim, but unfortunately it happens. Deal with it hippie.

Wait a sec... a great white shark off Boynton with the water this warm?

Tom, I've seen three other accounts in different places on the internet, claiming to have spotted Great Whites in SE Florida in the past week.:idk:

One from a friend who I trust and believe, in the Keys! Waiting for photographic proof - but .......
<sarcasm on> ...if it's on the internet it must be true <sarcasm off>

Tom, I've seen three other accounts in different places on the internet, claiming to have spotted Great Whites in SE Florida in the past week.:idk:

One from a friend who I trust and believe, in the Keys! Waiting for photographic proof - but .......
<sarcasm on> ...if it's on the internet it must be true <sarcasm off>

And I trust my friend who posted her account. It's been spotted by several sources cruising the Boynton area over the last month.

Ok. The profile of a great white of any size is unmistakable so maybe one of them is out there. It's absolutely out of character for one to be this close in for so long, but then again, they get to write the rules. What size is this one looking like?
I sure hope it's not my amakua come all this way for me. I've already made plans for the Quincentennial on July 4, 2276, and I can't get a refund.

Ok. The profile of a great white of any size is unmistakable so maybe one of them is out there. It's absolutely out of character for one to be this close in for so long, but then again, they get to write the rules. What size is this one looking like?
I sure hope it's not my amakua come all this way for me. I've already made plans for the Quincentennial on July 4, 2276, and I can't get a refund.

We saw the great white yesterday, late morning, on the back side of Lynn's reef in about 65 feet of water! It swam right by us, about 20 feet away from us. I saw it first, and froze, due to the sheer size of it, and not believing what I was seeing. I motioned to my dive to come quickly, he was about 2 arms lengths away from me. He froze also. The shark didn't seem to show any interest in us, however, I'm sure it new that we were there. I felt better staying right next to my buddy so that we would appear as a larger object. It is quite intimidating to see! We watched it swim by us, slowly until it swam out of site. We watched it for about 30 seconds. I then decided that since we had been down for 45 mins, perhaps it was time to go up. We slowly ascended, with minimal movements, looking down and all around during our ascent, and then stayed very still on the surface until we were picked up. It is a very large fish, @ 12- 15 ft. It is very distinct looking. It is very white on the bottom and gray on the top with a jagged line differentiating between the 2 colors. The white is very bright and distinct, and you can't miss it. I have seen the bull and hammerhead that frequent these reefs, and they do not compare in size to this fish, they look like puppies compared to it! It was very wide, it looked like a submarine...it was that wide.

Tom, here is her post, reporting what she saw.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom