Preventing Shallow Water blackout?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I will be snorkling alone and have heard a lot about shallow water blackout but still not sure on the best way to prevent it. Any suggestions or best practices?

If you're just starting out, it's likely difficult to be in danger of SWB. Your urge to breath will make you leave the bottom before it's an issue. However, as you improve the ability quell the breathing urgency, it becomes an increasing danger. Pay strict attention to bottom time and increase slowly. Some freedive computers have an alarm you can set to remind you that your particular safe zone is up.

Most importantly, dive with a buddy -- one goes up as one goes down.

If you're just starting out, it's likely difficult to be in danger of SWB. Your urge to breath will make you leave the bottom before it's an issue. However, as you improve the ability quell the breathing urgency, it becomes an increasing danger. Pay strict attention to bottom time and increase slowly. Some freedive computers have an alarm you can set to remind you that your particular safe zone is up.

Most importantly, dive with a buddy -- one goes up as one goes down.
Not really, the buddy needs to wait on the surface since most BO happen there. If the buddy dives when the other is coming up, that doesn't really work wrt safety.

Are you snorkeling or freediving? You’re at no risk if your staying at the surface with occasional dives to take a closer look at something underwater. It’s a risk when you learn push the limits beyond your normal breathing reflex at depth.

If you’re alone I’d worry more about entanglement, especially if you’re in a heavily fished area with lots of monofilament. A kid died in Florida earlier this year due to entanglement.

Are you snorkeling or freediving? You’re at no risk if your staying at the surface with occasional dives to take a closer look at something underwater. It’s a risk when you learn push the limits beyond your normal breathing reflex at depth.

If you’re alone I’d worry more about entanglement, especially if you’re in a heavily fished area with lots of monofilament. A kid died in Florida earlier this year due to entanglement.
Um, no. You can pass out from any breath-hold dive. People have died in swimming pools from shallow water blackouts.

I will be snorkling alone and have heard a lot about shallow water blackout but still not sure on the best way to prevent it. Any suggestions or best practices?
Nice long surface times compared to your dive time in order to recover completely after each dive. Don’t dive to the maximum time you can, keep it a bit shorter. Dive to your comfort level. Snorkelling alone keep your dive times shorter than normal. Positive buoyancy on the surface and bring a swim float with drinks and phone. Snacks.

Um, no. You can pass out from any breath-hold dive. People have died in swimming pools from shallow water blackouts.
You're correct. I shouldn't have been so dogmatic.

I'm curious what led to the swimming pool deaths. The fact that they occurred in swimming pools doesn't preclude extreme behavior, like hyperventilating and attempting 7 minute static apnea.

In any case, YMMV. Anyone can die at any time. No dive activity is 100% safe. But on the risk spectrum, normal snorkeling without hyperventilating and taking short exploratory plunges is on the safer end.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom