Prez dives with Sharks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It's quite apparent from the dive operations that do "Bull Shark Dives" in the Riviera Maya area that they really don't pose a "threat" to divers... but why exactly is that... considered they are one of the most aggressive/dangerous species of shark?

(I don't want to sound too stupid here, I have been diving with reef & nurse sharks, but they are either small or "bottom feeders".)

All presidents should dive, including mine, would give them a different perspective and different priorities. Hooray for President Calderon and good choice of operator. Hope this helps with the Bull Sharks off Playa del Carmen. The fishermen from Puerto Morelos need be stopped from this practice.

Good diving, Craig

hey dave it was good to hear that something is being done about the shark issue. if the opportunity to get in a word about more flights into czm....

if the opportunity to get in a word about more flights into czm....

I understand the preference but there is always Cancun and the bus/ferry or Maya Air options.

I understand the preference but there is always Cancun and the bus/ferry or Maya Air options.

yep being doing it for 19 years but i am getting old.

To answer PaulVS' question about bull sharks being among the most aggressive and why don't we think they pose a threat to divers. I've done 2 dives at this site off the beach in Playa Del Carmen. Both times we saw 4 Bull Sharks. They came within about 25 to 30 feet of us, circled us and swam away. Then they came back individually and did the same thing never getting closer than about 25 feet. This is in a depth of at least 80 feet.
When sharks "attack" it is almost always in very shallow water. The surf churns up the water and the sharks can't see. If they bump into something or you bump into them they react by biting. Usually just once which is enough to do a lot of damage but it is not a frenzied attack where they try to kill you. It's very rare for these sharks to come in to water that is shallower than 80 feet but when they do it makes the headlines. These animals have been demonized based on their appearance and a few unfortunate accidents.
We are not on their menu and they are probably more afraid of us than we are of them.

There were two bitings in the Cancun area around a year ago. Not sure if the shark species was identified. Reportedly dozens of bull sharks were killed soon thereafter in that region.

If the biters were bull sharks, how do you explain that?

There were two bitings in the Cancun area around a year ago. Not sure if the shark species was identified. Reportedly dozens of bull sharks were killed soon thereafter in that region.

If the biters were bull sharks, how do you explain that?[/QUOTE
As oldmaninthesea stated the one attack was in very shallow water. Not sure about the other. It was reported that "The Authorities" ordered the killing of the Bull sharks.
The massacre of 70 bull sharks authorized after a shark attack on a Canadian tourist in Cancun | Ocean Sentry

Thanks for sharing Dave!! I'll be there ready for shark action, ready for diving, ready to learn....47 DAYS & COUNTING!! So cool to see you post on here. I am so ready to dive with you all!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom