primary reels, what's the best?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JamesK,

The spools are under warranty. just take it into a shop and they'll replace it for you. All you need to do is give them the old one and take all the line off and switch it to the new one. I would suggest you get the new spool first . It makes it alot easier to take the line off the broken one and put in onto the new one.

My only DR reel left is the little blue one and it works pretty good for towing dive flags. It locks. unlike the EE that uses friction on the little screw.

Thanks. I might just do just that this weekend when I am down at the caves.

Thanks Will, I appreciate the advice, and I'll give it a try next time. BTW, I've heard from a fair number of people that their Dive Rite reels are coming apart like that - a dive shop manager told me there was a manufacturing defect on them, and Dive Rite was fixing/replacing them. Not sure how much truth there is to that, just what I heard.

Well, I got my reel replaced this past weekend. then, I was at Peacock, and saw two guys with a DiveRite reel apart and line all over. I looked at it and saw they had the same problem that I did. I told them about the warranty, and they took it back to be replaced.

I'm also looking at getting a new reel and have been looking at the reels at www.reefscuba.com. Has anyone dove with these reels before or has anyone heard anything about them and if on both counts let me know what you think. Thanks.

Jeff

Jeff,

I have a RS4336-E, 4” enclosed reel, haven’t used it that much, bought it for Wreck Training. By the way they’re on sale now for $99. It worked great for walking around the park with my eyes closed (boy did we get some funny looks). I like the ability to easily adjust tension on the fly, I seemed to have a lot less problems with tangles than the other students using other spools. I also like the ability to easily remove the spool to clear a jam, it also means that if I need to leave the line behind, I can drop the spool but hang on to the cradle. Wasn’t sure I would like the cover but it seems to be fine and if you don’t like it comes off with a couple of Phillips head screws.

Customer service from Reef Scuba rocks. I usually get my orders from them in two days with ground shipping.

Mike

P.S. Oh yeah, I’ve also used it to penetrate the mysterious bus at Millbrook.

Thanks for the info mike. I really like the way the reels look and I have not heard any thing bad about them so far and I think they cost less than some of the other reels out there. I have a few dive rite reels and they are ok but I think I might go with these reels next. Thanks again Mike.

Jeff

I have used it for around 10 practice dives now, and it is excellent. It cost around $115 and is worth every penny, in my opinion. It's fit and finish is excellent and sturdy, but primarily, the design is far easier to handle than my previous reel. I have no complaints whatsoever.

I also recommend putting a purple ball on the end of the line. You can find the balls on lady's hair ties, and I call them "hair balls". A few weeks ago at the Scuba Park, a very large Black Bass started accompanying me on my practice dive, and when I untied, he grabbed the ball and took off like a shot. I loosened the screw and he took it about 15', and I reeled him in real slow and actually brought him back. He didn't want to let go of that ball. I told my ex about it (she was Bassngals Woman of the Year a few years ago) and she was very, very excited, much more than I ever saw her before, if you get my drift. Too little, too late.

Dave

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom