Prince Wilhelm

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cdiver2

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I have just found out my uncle used to dive on the Prince Wilhelm ( lake Michigan ) about a year after she went down. He talks about all the superstructure still intact. Can anyone tell me what she is like now so I can pass it on to him, way to old to dive now 86.
Thanks

I dived it in July. That is a great wreck! It's off Milwaukee, WI in about 80 - 85 feet. It's now covered with zebra mussels, but they have been scraped away over the name. The name is still painted on after being down almost 50 years.

If he's still in good health, he can still dive.

I was on it 3 times this summer. Hope to start my wreck training next summer and see the inside of the "Willy" a bit too.

Julie

I too was on the trip with Julie. She was my buddy on the first dive. (Hope all is well Julie, how did DM cert go?)

Anyway, Len Der Charters runs out of Milwaukee. Great operation. Jerry is the captain and is a really interesting guy. The boat has a fireplace in the cabin, so if you can brave the cold waters, you'll be warmed up in the cabin.

I've heard they run all winter, buy you are required to dive with a pony. Check it out if you get a chance. The dive was amazing!! I'm hoping to get there sometime after the holidays.

I dove the Prince Wilhelm this July. The maximum depth of this dive took me to 86'. The superstructure is intact, and there is a mast of some type at an almost vertical angle protruding not too far from amidships. It is a beautiful sight to behold indeed! Haven't penetrated yet, though.

this is probly my fav wreck to dive in lake michigan and the one i have dove the most. last time i dove it about 2 weeks ago there was 30' viz and temps in the 50's. it always seems to have good viz.

its a 250' steel freighter that sank in 1954. the willy tried to pass between what it thought was two ships, the two ships ended up being a tug pulling a oil barge on a 800' cable. the tug, under power was able to keep away from the willy but, the oil barge made a 20' gash in her starboard midship and a hole in her starboard bow that sank her. the tug, the sinclair and the oil barge it was pulling reached port safely.

unfortunatly the ship lays on her starboad side so the damage is not visable. completely intact with easy penetration into the cargo holds and pilot house. no lives were lost when the ship sank but, several divers have lost their life on her. there is all so a funny story about how the masts were cut of to the 50' mark

Cdiver2, my mom had talked about this wreck and had dove it not to long after it sank. she still dives it today with me

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom