Pro Dive in Fort Lauderdale

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'll agree with the posters who thought the boat was nice and the staff was good. I took my AOW through them, but that's sorta another story.

One key thing no-one seems to mention with ProDive: 95% of their rental tanks - the tanks you are going to get if you don't bring your own - are AL72's. This can come as a medium-sized shocker when you've got bigger guys planning on doing a deeper wreck who aren't the most delicate breathers.

If you are limiting yourself to Ft. Lauderdale, and have your own tanks, they're probably a good choice on a weekday.

One dive friend I know seems to like Dixie DIvers ( http://www.dixiedivers.com/ ), on the Lady Go Diver, but I have yet to hook up with that operation.

Best,

MD

Thanks for all the responses. Pro Dive may be well-suited for me, as I'm still a novice diver with only 12 logged dives. I'm trying to dive as often as I can and not go another four years without diving like I've did in the past. Just finished up a trip to Cozumel. That was spectacular!

Did someone say scubatyme? Isn't that the boat that ran someone over or something.....?

(searching) - - - -- - -

In re-reading the thread there are pros and cons. I personally did not like my dive with them a few years ago. Old Thread

As for Pro-Dive I have heard good things about them, but I have also heard that it is a tourist boat and along the lines of the Jungle Queen. I did however dive with Parrot Island down there and they were superb!

I've dove about 15 to 20 dives with scubatyme and maybe 8 to 10 with
Parrot Island and would rate them about equally, perhaps a bit more service
on scubatyme. Parrot Island unless they moved is right on the inlet so a little
shorter ride to the dive sights, both have friendly and helpful crew and captains.
I'm going to give the american dream II a shot in a couple weeks probably a pm
saturday and am sunday.

Mambo Dave:
One dive friend I know seems to like Dixie DIvers ( http://www.dixiedivers.com/ ), on the Lady Go Diver, but I have yet to hook up with that operation.

I'm currently taking my AOW classes with Dixie Divers. They are nice and friendly group of people. You will find lot's of students on the Lady Go Diver, but from what I have seen you can dive without too many restrictions.

Wys.

Ok, I just got back from Ft Lauderdale and thought I'd chime in. I booked 3 days with American Dream II and they were excellent. First of all, they didn't have anything scheduled on the 3rd day but promised me they'd go out no matter what (even if it were just my buddy and I). It turned out that they had 3 others join last minute, but it was a great gesture anyway. The crew goes out of their way to make sure you're comfortable. By the way, many of the shops in the area will put you on this boat anyway which is fine if you'd rather pay by credit card. Booking with the boat only allow cash/checks on the boat.

They rent regs, BCs, and Tank (DIN valve optional but make sure you call in advance).

The cost of a two tank charter including tanks/weights is $74.20 after tax which I think is competetive for the area.

Now, I also visited Fillexpress which is about a 15-20 minute drive north, and they were awesome as well. My buddy wanted to try backplate/wings/computer and long hose reg and this shop spent about an hour setting up a rig for him; changing wings, fitting the harness, adding weight pockets, etc. They also rent steel tanks in any size filled with whatever gas you want if you'd prefer them to most boats' alum80s. Also, if you rent on Saturday, you basically get the gear until Monday for the same price since they're closed Sunday.

If we had rented a larger car, I would have demanded my buddy pick up a couple HP120s because he hit 600psi when I hit 1600.
Have a great trip!

Bobby

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom