pro ear 2000 mask / tube in ear

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

virginia jim

Reaction score
I was a scuba instructor for over 20 years and had to give up diving when I had to have a tube put in my right ear. I have read about a mask, the Pro Ear 2000 that is supposed to be helpful to divers with ear problems. The mask was originally sold by Oceanic. Oceanic has discontinued the mask.
As a dive shop owner I used to sell equipment. I know that there are equipment "copies", I call them Taiwan look-a-likes. The copies may cost less than half, but are of far inferior quality than the original.
Yes, I know that if the mask gets knocked off during a dive I might experience vertigo, been there done that and am willing to take the risk.
SO---
1.) Has anyone used the ProEar 2000 who has a tube(s) in an ear who can give me some advise?
2.) Looking on the "net" I find some proear 2000 masks for like $170, and some for $80 What can you tell me about these prices/quality.
3.) Anybody got an original OCEANIC ProEar 2000 mask they want to sell me?

Jim,

I bought one for my son last year. I think I ordered it from joediver off Ebay for about $50-$60. My son has always had sinus problems and has been slow to equailze. Using a descent line he can take his time and equalize. He is a good diver and has in excess of 150 dives. He just has to take his time going down.

We were headed to Cozumel last fall and he wanted to make sure that he could get down. He tried the Pro Ears in the pool and had a much easier time equailzing. He had no trouble in Cozumel. The tubes running from the front of the mask to the ear pieces simply provide air to the outer ear and makes equalizing much easier.

Although I don't have any trouble equailzing I tried the mask just for fun and found that it was even easier to equailze. Since your ears stay dry the sounds are more intense and you think someone has turned up a speaker but it's something that you can get comfortable with. You have to be careful with the tubes and make sure that that the washers are snug between the mask and the tubes so you don't have any leaks.

virginia jim:
I was a scuba instructor for over 20 years and had to give up diving when I had to have a tube put in my right ear. I have read about a mask, the Pro Ear 2000 that is supposed to be helpful to divers with ear problems. The mask was originally sold by Oceanic. Oceanic has discontinued the mask.
As a dive shop owner I used to sell equipment. I know that there are equipment "copies", I call them Taiwan look-a-likes. The copies may cost less than half, but are of far inferior quality than the original.
Yes, I know that if the mask gets knocked off during a dive I might experience vertigo, been there done that and am willing to take the risk.
SO---
1.) Has anyone used the ProEar 2000 who has a tube(s) in an ear who can give me some advise?
2.) Looking on the "net" I find some proear 2000 masks for like $170, and some for $80 What can you tell me about these prices/quality.
3.) Anybody got an original OCEANIC ProEar 2000 mask they want to sell me?

How long have you had your tube implant? Did your ear doc tell you that it might be removed at a later date? Tubes are usually temporary and implanted in children who have repeated ear infections. The condition usually resolves and the tubes are removed or are expelled by the body and the ear drum heals.

No such luck on my tube. I have eustachain tube dysfunction, permanent. I will fly up to Harvard Med. School next month to see the pioneer in surgery for this.

PROEAR is the only mask I used. I only dived twice (discover scuba, will get a licence next vacation). I bought the proear mask simply because I really don't like water in my ear. I get water in my ears everytime I swim and that feels Baaad.
During my dives I constantly blows through my nose, so air will always enter my earcups to repel any water there might be.
So my ears stayed completely dry during the dives! It was really comfortable. I wish I could swim with these but the life guard won't let me in the pool with a scuba mask. :(
About the original proear and IST proear:
I have one of each, one for me and one for her :wink:
The original proear (Oceanic, expensive) can be fitted with oceanic prescription lens (xsite).
the IST proear (cheap, you can get it from Joediveramerica or scubatoys, got mine from joe) seems to have a little problem with prescription lens installation: some parts are glued, which is unnecessary since the parts are designed to snap together. I had to use brutal force to crack it open to install the lens. My local diving shop couldn't crack it open so I had to do it myself. Other than the glue thing I don't see any difference between the original OCEANIC proear and IST proear. They have identical moldings, identical parts, identical glass shape and thickness..

Hi Jim, sorry I didn't reply earlier. I reviewed The IST pro ear mask when a LDS around here let me try it. I posted the review in fins, masks, snorkel forum:

http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=120541

Try it out, but practice first! Hope you find what you are looking for.

(if you have any comments on my review or want to add to it, please post it in the referenced link as not to hijack jim's thread. Thanks!)

I have the IST Proear and it works great. I have tubes in both my ears due to dysfunction in my e-tubes and will most likely always have them. The Proear helps equalize and keep my ears dry. I do have the occasional leak here and there but for the most part they seal and stay sealed throughout my dives. I have made 8 open water and seveal confined dives with the Proear and they really work well. I have to cut my hair short around my ears in order to get a good seal, but it is a small price to pay for being able to dive. Hope this helps!

Hi toadswife,

The orginial post in this thread is dated late Dec '05 and the last post prior to yours was Jan '06. The OP, Virginia Jim, last logged in on June 13, '08.

As such, you may wish to PM or email him.

Regards,

DocVikingo

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom