Problem Getting Fills

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Canada made a number of changes to their tank marking regulations as of 1993.

As of January 1 1993 all scuba tanks manufactured for use in Canada must have the TC stamp on them. Any tanks manufactured prior to 1993 are grandfathered if:

• The tank is marked CTC, DOT, or ICC
  • cylinder was in use in Canada prior to 1993
Unfortunately your tanks are too new to be grandfathered

Yes we seam to have the same kinda games here in the US just just not with DOT stamps. If your tank is aluminum and close to made in 1989 they will tell you they are to old, look to old, may be to old. Some shops are great some suck, what it comes down to is they own the fill station and they can do what they want. I would suggest tracking down the TC laws but that will probably only give YOU piece of mind, I'm sure if you brought the paper work in with you they would still refuse to fill them because there it no way you can know more than they do. I guess I have come to accept that when it comes to air fills the fill station operator is judge, jury, and executioner, luckily I have an awesome local shop.

Yes we seam to have the same kinda games here in the US just just not with DOT stamps. If your tank is aluminum and close to made in 1989 they will tell you they are to old, look to old, may be to old. Some shops are great some suck, what it comes down to is they own the fill station and they can do what they want. I would suggest tracking down the TC laws but that will probably only give YOU piece of mind, I'm sure if you brought the paper work in with you they would still refuse to fill them because there it no way you can know more than they do. I guess I have come to accept that when it comes to air fills the fill station operator is judge, jury, and executioner, luckily I have an awesome local shop.

You would think a good hydro mark would be all they would need. I guess not.

1. Should a shop be able to fill these tanks without liability, as it's not being transported by them?

Any shop can refuse to fill any tank for any reason. If they don't want to fill tanks without the TC marking, then it's their business.

2. Is it illegal to drive around with these tanks in Canada (i.e., in my trunk)?

I am not familiar with the laws in Canada, but in the USA the DOT transportaiton laws don't apply until you're carrying over 1,000 pounds of compressed gas cylinders.

3. Am I going to have problems hydro-ing these tanks again?

Since the hydro process is more regulated than scuba visual inspections and filling, I imagine that you will have problems getting the cylinders a hydro in Canada.

The solutions to all of your problems is to get yourself a compressor.

I e-mailed an authority, and while it's still quite vague, from his e-mail, I concluded that current hydro/vis means that a tank is good to fill BUT with only a DOT "stamp" and no TC "stamp," you shouldn't drive it around in Canada. So in essence, a shop doesn't really have any legal responsibility if hydro/vis is good, because the customer drives around the tanks.

It's still very confusing legal mumbo-jumbo, so the dive shop will fill my tanks until some concrete evidence pointing either way appears.

Didn't talk to the owner, but all the employees at the shop seem perplexed at this situation.

Back
Top Bottom