Problem with descend

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ewen_cab

New
Reaction score
Hi,

3 days ago, I experienced a crushing pain on the left
skull on my forehead when I tried to descend below 15
ft. The pain is so sharp and intense that the maximum
depth I reached was 20 ft before I aborted the dive.

This was my 2nd dive for that day. The 1st dive was
without any problem. I had descended to 40 ft. On both
dives,I did not exceed any dive limits and I did my
descend slowly. I felt fine that day, was not on any
medication and did not consume any alochol prior to
the trip.

I had not encountered this problem on my past 30
dives. What seems to be the problem?

I am posting my enquiry on different boards as I really want to get back to diving soon.

- weiming

You may have experienced a sinus squeeze, terrible painful either above the eye or in the cheek ( in the cheek feels like having your wisdom tooth drilled...)

If you had any type of congestion prior to entering the water on your second dive this could have been the cause.

If this was indeed a sinus squeeze then you are actually fortunate to have had it occur on decent as opposed to ascent.

Jeff Lane

I am not a doctor.

That said, what you describe sounds like a sinus squeeze. I've also experienced them, particularly after several days of diving or when diving while stuffy (I know, its bad).

Clearing early and often helps, particularly if you use the "hold your nose and gently blow" method. I hover and gently blow until the sinus (and the ears) equalize. I find that it takes longer for the sinuses to equalize than the ears.

Be aware the Rmediver2002 is correct. Just because you clear going down doesn't mean that you won't have problems on the way up.

Of course, you should check with a real doctor for real advice.

Northeastwrecks once bubbled...
Be aware the Rmediver2002 is correct. Just because you clear going down doesn't mean that you won't have problems on the way up.
If you find that you are experiencing a sinus squeeze on descent... don't try to clear it and continue the dive... if you do manage to get down and then experience a reverse block when trying to ascend your options are limited to going back down (which while providing relief may not resolve the block) or ascending and doing damage.

Dive another day.

Hi Northeastwrecks, long time no see...

I agree, it sound like maxillary sinus squeeze.

Ewen_cab, when this occurs, there will be severe pain under the eye on the affected side. Your teeth will commonly hurt. There may be some blood that ends up in your mask.

If you avoid acute trauma to the sinus, the pain will probably last minutes to hours and gradually subside. If bleeding or other trauma has occurred, there may be continued pain, but duller, fullness of the face over the affected side. There may eventually be some swelling under the eye or including the eye. It may even affect vision if the swelling is severe.

In the event the sinus is infected or gets infected, medication will be needed.

It is important to abort the dive and not dive again until you have seen your MD or ENT.

I commonly see maxillary sinus squeeze in patients arriving on an aircraft fllght. They call the office in pain and by the time they arrive there is nothing to be found. They often swear they had a toothache.

Go see your physician, good luck.

Larry Stein

Larry.

It's a pleasure to find myself in one of your forums.

Best regards.

I can personally attest to what you posted. I have experienced problems with blood in the mask after I pushed it too hard (usually during classes)

Note to file. Surface away from the class and clear before you turn around.

Other note. Don't do it in the first place.

Back
Top Bottom