Problem with green footage!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I do have a Sony and an Ikelite housing with no Manual WB control. The trick is to have a white board or white painted fin, so once at the desired depth, you turn on the camera and point for 10 seconds to the white surface. during this time th camera automatically adjust the WB, then you can start recording. You still need to use the green filter to avoid otherwhite object to appear burn.

Thanks guys. I'll look into all of the above. I have tried white slates etc. Makes no difference and the housing is electronic with no MBW options. So no luck there! I am diving in Phi Phi (Thailand) not blue water as in Egypt but fairly blue. Have tried various filters without luck, including purpleish one...

Someone used this camera and housing before me and did something in manualy programming it and it worked. The setting have been changed in the mean time and I have no idea what was done or how to fix it. Have tried many possible different settings. I'll just keep trying and will let you know if I manage to fix the problem.

Ppppheeeeewwww! Back to the drawing board :)

Mmmm! I have not been pointing to a white slate for 10 seconds. Maybe I'm doing it too quick... I'll try this and use the green filter again. Thanks...

here is a link to the Owners Manual,
http://im1.onecall.com/Image_Products/Sony/HDR-HC3_Instruction_Manual_-_English.pdf
I had same issue, but the owners manual of my camera (older model) clearly states that it will automatically adjust for in 10 seconds. If not use a higher (+) value of white balance this will add red color to your video. In addition you can use your video editing software for color correction.

I do have a Sony and an Ikelite housing with no Manual WB control. The trick is to have a white board or white painted fin, so once at the desired depth, you turn on the camera and point for 10 seconds to the white surface. during this time th camera automatically adjust the WB, then you can start recording. You still need to use the green filter to avoid otherwhite object to appear burn.

This is good info but remember, everytime you turn the camera on it will re-balance. If you change your depth much, you will need to re-balance.

If I find myself lacking a white object, I point the camera to the surface, towards the sun and balance (IE turn it on fo 10-12 sec,s).

This works out pretty well here in our greenish SoCal waters.

I have a canon XM-2. The auto setting of WB does not give good result. And doing a manual WB at depth is difficult, messy and time consuming. Setting the WB to indoor works for me much better. I dont like using filters as they further reduce light.

I remember hearing something about the sony cameras white balance when powered on. Can you point your cameras at a white card and power them on while at depth? This is one of many reasons why I'm not a fan of Sony.

Billy

I've tried this with my HC-7 with no noticeable improvement. It has to be the most disappointing camcorder I've ever bought (and all but two over the years have been Sony). The green cast overall, and in shadows (green shadows?) is something I've never experienced with any of my previous Sony cameras... but they use CCDs rather than CMOS chips.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom