Procedures for extended deep diving trips

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

teknitroxdiver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
What are the general procedures for a multi-dive or multi-day tech diving trip, for example, on the Doria?

What I mean is:

How do you charge your can light?
How do you charge your scooter?
How many doubles and deco bottles do you take if gas is available onboard?
etc, etc....

thanks!

Check with the boat and see if they have a pover inverter available or what type of charging system they have available. On my 12 volt canister light I often charge directly off the lighter socket in my car, the scooter takes a power inverter for the car.

Some people carry a handheld multi meter and know burn times compared to the readings.

On a boat for a two day trip I know the burn time I can get out of the scooter and light and my dive time is less than the burn time. If there is power available then I charge.

In the photo; I don't attach deco or stage cylinders like that but without knowing what they are doing I can't say it is right or wrong. I suspect it is a lazy way of doing it. I see people do that sometimes with a cylinder they are going to drop quickly such as taking O2 to a cave, I normally attach to the upper chest d-rings and hip d rings. Another thing I see a lot of is "scooping" where the front of the cylinder is clipped so the cylinder doesn't hang parallel to the divers body but angles down and away. So it causes a lot of drag.

jerrynuss:
Check with the boat and see if they have a pover inverter available or what type of charging system they have available. On my 12 volt canister light I often charge directly off the lighter socket in my car, the scooter takes a power inverter for the car.

Some people carry a handheld multi meter and know burn times compared to the readings.

On a boat for a two day trip I know the burn time I can get out of the scooter and light and my dive time is less than the burn time. If there is power available then I charge.

In the photo; I don't attach deco or stage cylinders like that but without knowing what they are doing I can't say it is right or wrong. I suspect it is a lazy way of doing it. I see people do that sometimes with a cylinder they are going to drop quickly such as taking O2 to a cave, I normally attach to the upper chest d-rings and hip d rings. Another thing I see a lot of is "scooping" where the front of the cylinder is clipped so the cylinder doesn't hang parallel to the divers body but angles down and away. So it causes a lot of drag.

I'll second the the upper chest D-ring's, and hip ring's,when i carry my deco bottle's, i carry them close to me and streamlined, but as you said, he might just be carrying them to lay them down quickley as he enters the wreck or cave, which ever he is diving. I do know when my buddy scooter's, they sling them off more like the picture, to keep them out of the way so they can control the scooter, it's hard to see exactley how he has it them rigged from the pic, hope this help's

teknitroxdiver:
Also, are this guy's deco bottles attached right?

http://capt-jt.com/assets/BRITISH_3.jpg

The diver simply clipped the nose of the bottles off to the left hip d-ring.

This is frequently done when scootering with multiple bottles, or when dropping bottles, etc. When scootering, the bottles are streamlined and ride nicely.
You typically don't do this when free swimming, as the bottles would continually move around when finning. The exception being you can rotate your bottles when on deco, only clipping off the bottle you are breathing to the chest and hip, and the others by the nose to the hip, in order to reduce clutter.

aue-mike:
The diver simply clipped the nose of the bottles off to the left hip d-ring.

This is frequently done when scootering with multiple bottles, or when dropping bottles, etc. When scootering, the bottles are streamlined and ride nicely.
You typically don't do this when free swimming, as the bottles would continually move around when finning. The exception being you can rotate your bottles when on deco, only clipping off the bottle you are breathing to the chest and hip, and the others by the nose to the hip, in order to reduce clutter.

Hey Mike, just want to say i love the wreck videos you guy's have, and what awsome music !!! Keep up the good work, i agree,. when scootering, i can't see having the bottles close to your body interfearing with the scooter, my freind carry's his the same way when scootering.

Back
Top Bottom