Proper rate of descent?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It clearly depends on the kind of dive but TSandM makes a good point - descending is kinda like take-off in an aircraft and probably a time when problems are more likely to occur/become apparent, especially with the separation that can and does occur.

DCBC - I'm kind of astonished by your statement below. Would you insist on this rate with a significant surface current that would otherwise suggest getting down ASAP in order to avoid separation/missing the site? Or have I misread your post?

Again these are maximums, but I always order a 0.5 fpm descent, across the board.

DCBC - I'm kind of astonished by your statement below. Would you insist on this rate with a significant surface current that would otherwise suggest getting down ASAP in order to avoid separation/missing the site? Or have I misread your post?

He's a hard hat diver.... doesn't even know what flippers are.

In the world of commercial divers current is for pussies. They just hang a diving bell overboard and the divers might not even get wet until they're 800ft under the surface ... LOL

(sorry DBDC, I'm sure you can dive like a real diver too; just poking fun .... :D)

R..

Greetings fellow divers this has been a really interesting thread with some awesome information. I usually try to stay with my buddy within several feet. Like TSandM has mentioned if there is a issue that bubble / buddy check missed it will usually pronounce itself while descending. With most of my dive buddies we begin the descent together and stay together unless ear issues present themselves. At that point we stay no more than 8 to 10 feet apart depending on visibility. If it is bad and current nasty then we are close at all times. The first 60' is usually where it is the worst for ears for myself and my buddies. I have recently visited my ENT again and He is awesome! It amazes me just how a little preventative steps can make your equalization effortless. I recommend a diving ENT is like finding hidden treasure!
Thanks to DCBC for the maximum rates for descent for saturation divers. I have always been interested in rates of descent.
I think the 60 fpm is close to our normal rates but sometimes I know it is slower at least for the first 60' at times.
Good luck and safe diving to all.
CamG Keep diving....keep training....keep learning!

I realized that when I descend, I dump all the air at the surface, kick down until the wetsuit compresses, then let the descent commence at a pretty fast rate, in a nearly horizontal or even head down position, clearing every few feet. When I'm near the bottom, I start adding air in bursts. I stop a few feet above the bottom, then make any final adjustments to get neutrally bouyant.
That's the way I do it, and I have not lost a buddy yet.

In diving there is more than one way to skin a catfish. If you don't feel narc'ed or otherwise weird, then it seems to work for you. NAUI cited 90FPM as the maximum descent rate, but I have exceeded that on several dives. It's especially a nice skill to have when you are dive bombing a wreck. Getting down quickly means you get to dive the wreck. Too slow and you just might miss it in the current.

.......Getting down quickly means you get to dive the wreck. Too slow and you just might miss it in the current....

Too FAST and you win a trip to the ENT :D

Too FAST and you win a trip to the ENT :D
I don't seem to have that problem. :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom