Proper use of humidity indicators?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Graeme Tolton

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I am sure this has been beaten to death, but i really cant find exactly the info i am looking for.

I have just aquired a 1981 capitano to replace my davey. 900 hrs on unit and it runs very well. I plan to add a moisture eye to the system after the 32" filter and before the pmv.

My question is regarding the 10/20/30 or 20/40/60 indicator discs. I dont know at what rh i should be replacing filters. I currently dont have either of the discs, but i see that august industries sells the 20/40/60 discs.
Any thoughts?
Thanks.

You are better with the 10/20/30 discs. Change when the 10% shows pink and you won't have any issue with moisture. The 20% is too late. This advice was initially picked up on YD from Iain/HSM.

It is interesting to note that as soon as you remove them from the sealed wrapper, they start turning from blue to magenta. When you install it, put it in the moisture indicator housing top part and apply a little heat from a heatgun or hairdryer. This will turn it back to blue again and keep the heat on it all the time as you screw the top on the moisture indicator housing, then start up your compressor and run it for a couple of minutes to build some pressure. These can be reused many times in between filter changes by using the heat gun again to restore the colour back to blue.

It is interesting to note that as soon as you remove them from the sealed wrapper, they start turning from blue to magenta. When you install it, put it in the moisture indicator housing top part and apply a little heat from a heatgun or hairdryer. This will turn it back to blue again and keep the heat on it all the time as you screw the top on the moisture indicator housing, then start up your compressor and run it for a couple of minutes to build some pressure. These can be reused many times in between filter changes by using the heat gun again to restore the colour back to blue.
A hair dryer is safer, you can scorch them with a heat gun. If you only have the one 32" tower, then change that filter when the 10% portion of the disk goes pink.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom