Proper Weight in Dry Suit vs Wet Suit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My guess is you will need a little more weight, but not a lot. However, you should definitely do a pool based class, and then do a few more shallow dives with an experienced divemaster, to get the feel managing buoyancy with a dry suit. It's way different, and the 'failure' scenarios are kind of hard to replicate.

'failure' scenarios are kind of hard to replicate.
Flooded suit and stuck inflator... what's hard? Bubble in your feet, tuck them and roll. M2M suit significantly reduces bubble management issues. A class, while a good idea for newer divers and those without drysuit buddies, isn't a necessity. Having someone to go over things with you and give you a hand on your first few dives is often more than enough. This topic, along with many other cert cards, is subjective to the individuals desire.

True, but I would not want to do my first tuck and roll at 90 feet. Or even 60 for that matter!!!

True, but I would not want to do my first tuck and roll at 90 feet. Or even 60 for that matter!!!
Nobody is suggesting that either. I suggested here and in a DM that the first dives be done at a training site with a controlled area. A hard bottom of 15' is my preferred method. My 2nd dive however was solo and to 60' with poorly fitting boots that hurt my feet and I was much too light because I thought I would be fine. I was not, it sucked and made me hate diving. I pushed through the suck to get more time in the suit since I was there and this was my last dive for the day.

I live and dive in a shore diving paradise so there are safe training sites a plenty.

So I'm diving (ha ha!) into the dry suit world and have a first question; probably the first of many. So as I ponder weighting requirements, I'll be deleting the equivalent flotation of a 7mm wetsuit and adding a trilam dry suit and undergarments (base layer and Thinsulate 150 uni-suit). My concern is being able to maintain depth at the end of a dive at the safety stop. If I start with a single full HP100, do I go through the same process as a wet suit or do I need to account for buoyancy of a partially-filled dry suit at 5m (1.5 atm). Or is there negligible squeeze at the safety stop and the dry suit will have most of the air purged?

Will I be roughly the same buoyancy between the two or will I expect to be more buoyant with the dry option?

Maybe I should ask another way. SHOULD I ASK FOR A WEIGHT BELT edit: (OR A SS BP) FOR CHRISTMAS?:santa4:
Have you looked at the Optimal buoyancy calculator spreadsheet posted on this site created by a site member. It’s a very detailed and useful tool to give you a ballpark starting weight recommendation for exposure suit, tank and BCD scenarios.

So I'm diving (ha ha!) into the dry suit world and have a first question; probably the first of many. So as I ponder weighting requirements, I'll be deleting the equivalent flotation of a 7mm wetsuit and adding a trilam dry suit and undergarments (base layer and Thinsulate 150 uni-suit). My concern is being able to maintain depth at the end of a dive at the safety stop. If I start with a single full HP100, do I go through the same process as a wet suit or do I need to account for buoyancy of a partially-filled dry suit at 5m (1.5 atm). Or is there negligible squeeze at the safety stop and the dry suit will have most of the air purged?

Will I be roughly the same buoyancy between the two or will I expect to be more buoyant with the dry option?

Maybe I should ask another way. SHOULD I ASK FOR A WEIGHT BELT edit: (OR A SS BP) FOR CHRISTMAS?:santa4:
The hard part is garments V the weight you have on. I found with a drysuit I was warmer and so used less weight then in my 7mill. I also found when I do need more weight using the weight pockets around the tank work far better for me then a weight belt or harness. My dive yesterday down to 84 feet in 38* water I used what I call my "light" thermals IE about as thick as a T-shirt. And also the heated vest. for weight I used 16 pounds. "should be noted I use a AL40 on my side." And I can hold a safety stop at 10FT with 250PSI in each tank. Now If I step it up to my thick undergarments I need around 22 pounds. So I guess what I am getting at is figure out how much weight you will need first then decided how you want to carry it in a dive.

Back
Top Bottom