Proper Weight in Dry Suit vs Wet Suit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So does it make sense to go from a 3mm AL BP to a 3mm SS BP when all you gain is 3 lb of ballast? It seems like a lot of trouble and expense when I could strap a 3 lb weight to my harness instead. Going to a 6mm SS backplate would add 8 lb of weight which would be a significant change. So that would appear to be the only sensible thing to do if I go to a SS back plate. Somebody correct me...aside from the weight issues when traveling.

So does it make sense to go from a 3mm AL BP to a 3mm SS BP when all you gain is 3 lb of ballast? It seems like a lot of trouble and expense when I could strap a 3 lb weight to my harness instead. Going to a 6mm SS backplate would add 8 lb of weight which would be a significant change. So that would appear to be the only sensible thing to do if I go to a SS back plate. Somebody correct me...aside from the weight issues when traveling.
@Litefoot,

This might be a horse/cart thing. It might be best to decide first what single (?) cylinder you'll likely be diving.

Diving a single PST LP 104 will have different implications for your amount of ballast than diving a single PST HP 102, for example.

rx7diver

It just depends.

A 3mm plate will move the center of gravity headward compared to an AL plate with 3 lbs on the waist belt. Might be an improvement to your balance (aka trim), or it might not.

Similarly, the 6mm plate will move it further than a 3mm plate + 5 lbs on the waist, and even moreso compared to the AL plate + 8 lbs in the waist. But did that move it too far?

Or perhaps you are foot light in the AL plate, so any steel plate would not be an improvement. But you might also switch to a steel tank, which might help the foot-lightness and thereby enable the use of a steel plate.

My advice: see how things go first, then adjust from there. Possibly borrow before buying. Or there's the buy then sell route if it wasn't a good move. Equipment choice is an iterative venture.

A 3mm plate will move the center of gravity headward compared to an AL plate with 3 lbs on the waist belt. Might be an improvement to your balance (aka trim), or it might not.

I found that the SS backplate helped my trim by letting me have less weight at my waist. I'm naturally foot heavy (even after moving my tank towards my head as much as possible but still being able to reach my valve). Since I carry on my BPW when I fly, I don't care about the extra weight.

Displacement is the name of the game, aluminum displaces more water weight than SS, the stainless gives you more usable weight per dry pound. If I were looking at a new plate the heavy subgravity would be my choice but there are other considerations, I assume you are diving fresh water?

So to answer some of your questions, I dive a single HP100 in fresh water. I will say that, in support of what ya’ll say about the SS BP, the switch to a steel tank did amazing things for my weighting and trim.

But I also dive some thermal springs in the winter, so the heavy BP would be overkill. Presently I have trim pockets on the harness waist and attached to the upper BP. Nothing on the cam bands yet.

Isn’t it great to have a BP/W with so many configuration options! So glad I went that route.

I find SS BP feel smoother, the aluminum always has a bit of corrosion which drags on the suit.
That said I'm diving in a drysuit all the time so don't mind the weight.

@Litefoot, to help with undergarment selection this is what I use around the area.
150g (Old DUI) I use in the 70's at Blue Lake or Sand Hollow early and late in the year.
For the Gorge and Bear Lake if I'm not going below 40' I use the same 150g. That puts the water temp in the 60's.
Around 80' and I use Fourth Element Arctics or Fusion, which puts water temps in the 50's.
Below that and I'm in a Fourth Element Halo.

If I'm using a single cylinder, it's an LP85 with a SS BP and 0 to six additional pounds of ballast depending on garment and base layer.
I've just become accustomed to being overweighted in the Crater or Belmont with a SS BP and a AL63.

Thank you @scott. That’s a great post targeted at my primary local dive areas. Yeah, that FG thermocline at 40’ is pretty dramatic. It’s one of the reasons I’ve decided to go dry.
Edit: Wow, that 4th Element stuff costs a 4th of my net worth!

Back
Top Bottom