Proper Weight in Dry Suit vs Wet Suit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Good question. I decided on 150 based on my reading here in SB and it seems like I can avoid some garment import duties by ordering it without the 250 from Seaskin. Anyway, I’ll start there and add layers if I need to. However, if I’m diving into temps in the 40’s F, maybe I should reconsider.
In the 40's I'm wearing Halos + J2 and maybe Xerotherms if I'm not moving around much

150 sounds cold to me, but I am always cold. It's very personal. I dove the FE Arctic top and running tights in 24°C water and was very comfortable. Now back in cold lakes with 13°C and 8°C below thermocline currently, I'm slightly cold with my 400g combined with ski underwear. I currently use 10kg (with an aluminum bp) in fresh water and with the 400g undersuit. Used the same in salt water with the thinner suit. I could probably get away with 1-2kg less, but am still newish to drysuit diving and choose to take an extra kg or two for comfort (and warmth). As a comparison, with just a 7mm I used 4kg in fresh water, and with an undergarment or hooded vest I used 6kg. But those were without extra lead for comfort.

Anyway, I’ll start there and add layers if I need to. However, if I’m diving into temps in the 40’s F, maybe I should reconsider.
I don't know what you read but in my area the water at depth is in the low 40 all years around and virtually nobody dives a 150. Even 250 isn't very warm.
Some people like boarderguy might be fine with it... I'm not doubting this, but it's not true for most people. I would definitely change my order to a 250.
I wouldn't use anything thinner than a 400 or something equally as warm in the 40s. I even add a layer of heavy fleece to the front side of my torso.

I use the 4th Elem Artic's (equivalent to about 200 gsm thinsulate) in the 50s. For the one time I've been in the low 40s, I wore the Artic over my Xerotherms (about 100 gsm equivalent), so more than 300 gsm equivalent total. I was very toasty.

For an overview on the weighting, my suit buoyancy is 10 lb with just a wicking layer, 15 lbs with wicking+Xerotherms, 26 lb with wicking+Arctic, and 37 lb with wicking+Xerotherm+Artic. (I then subtract other ballast like backplate, steel tanks, lead, etc. until getting to zero.) My point being there's a pretty large range.

I wear the Xerotherms (and am warmer) in the same range that I would wear a single-layer 7mm (60s). If you dive your 5+3mm in the 40s, you're way tougher than me! 😂

As others have said, you will want a SS backplate, ideally a heavy one, and steel tanks. If extra weight is required, which is most likely, you'll want a weight harness vs a belt. Those were at least my preferences and those of the majority of buddies I dive with.

From there it will take a few dives to fine tune your weighting. There are just a lot more variables with a drysuit. Type of suit, type of undergarment and how much air you prefer to keep in the suit are highly variable.

Once you get it dialed in, you'll know because you will finally start to feel comfortable again and in control. Then you'll get a new undergarment and you'll have to fine tune once again.

It is pretty much a never-ending process with a drysuit
I appreciate that and all the other thoughtful posts. Does it make sense to take DS training while I’m waiting for my suit or should I just schedule so that I can do it in my own gear? I kind of dislike the idea of putting my new suit in a chlorinated pee pee pool.

Anyway, it does sound like a fairly steep learning curve, especially for me, as I’m a relatively slow learner. But I’m as persistent as the tides once I get committed to something.

I appreciate that and all the other thoughtful posts. Does it make sense to take DS training while I’m waiting for my suit or should I just schedule so that I can do it in my own gear? I kind of dislike the idea of putting my new suit in a chlorinated pee pee pool.

Anyway, it does sound like a fairly steep learning curve, especially for me, as I’m a relatively slow learner. But I’m as persistent as the tides once I get committed to something.
I didn't do a class, but I've been diving for 22 years and didn't see the point. My buddies all dive dry so I got pointers from them and just went for it. I dove one of our training sites that has a 15ft shelf and a gradual decline to 60. Starting shallow I worked on moving my bubble around and doing a couple tucks to get air away from my legs. Everything after that is just managing where you have air. Add to your suit, add to your wing. Dump your wing, dump your suit, etc. Knowing emergency procedures for stuck inflator or hose that's come undone are simple enough, just gotta remember them.

I'd suggest waiting until you have your suit, or close to that time.

Most folks take about 10 dives to get comfortable with the transition. I wouldn't worry about taking your suit to the pool, just rinse it when you're done.

I use the 4th Elem Artic's (equivalent to about 200 gsm thinsulate) in the 50s. For the one time I've been in the low 40s, I wore the Artic over my Xerotherms (about 100 gsm equivalent), so more than 300 gsm equivalent total. I was very toasty.

For an overview on the weighting, my suit buoyancy is 10 lb with just a wicking layer, 15 lbs with wicking+Xerotherms, 26 lb with wicking+Arctic, and 37 lb with wicking+Xerotherm+Artic. (I then subtract other ballast like backplate, steel tanks, lead, etc. until getting to zero.) My point being there's a pretty large range.

I wear the Xerotherms (and am warmer) in the same range that I would wear a single-layer 7mm (60s). If you dive your 5+3mm in the 40s, you're way tougher than me! 😂
Oh, I must not have worded that right. Sorry. I was saying that I expect to be in the 40’s with the new DS. Right now, with the 5 mil over the 5/3 hooded vest, I can handle high 50’s.

I'd suggest waiting until you have your suit, or close to that time.

Most folks take about 10 dives to get comfortable with the transition. I wouldn't worry about taking your suit to the pool, just rinse it when you're done.

^
This!

I would have said the exact same thing, but @VikingDives already said it well.

I didn't do a class, but I've been diving for 22 years and didn't see the point. My buddies all dive dry so I got pointers from them and just went for it. I dove one of our training sites that has a 15ft shelf and a gradual decline to 60. Starting shallow I worked on moving my bubble around and doing a couple tucks to get air away from my legs. Everything after that is just managing where you have air. Add to your suit, add to your wing. Dump your wing, dump your suit, etc. Knowing emergency procedures for stuck inflator or hose that's come undone are simple enough, just gotta remember them.
That’s a good thought. My one and only dive buddy here learned dry suit in the PNW and is quite experienced. I guess taking the course is a subject for another thread. Thanks!
Edit: That sounds like the perfect place to learn.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom