Proposal critique?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A 35 year old is considered youth?

Also check out Diving With a Purpose:
Home

They have an at-risk youth program that is awesome. It is run by a group of super friendly guys, and I'd think they would be happy to share their experiences setting up the program and figuring out funding. They have presented at the last couple American Academy of Underwater Sciences symposiums and both their youth program and archaeological program are inspiring.

-Chris

Dear Northernone,

The advice that KWS gave you was accurate and useful. I have a background in Rhetorical Theory and Argumentative Writing so I thought I would attempt to help as well, as I find the idea embodied in the proposal very interesting. First, some questions/comments:

KWS’s recommendation that you provide evidence for this proposal before you make your pitch is excellent. If you could possibly take an informal poll of youths who would be interested and get them to sign their names to some document which you could have available for presentation when you present your proposal would be great. If you can get the parents to sign their names as a show of support that would be even better. If there are other youth outreach groups in your community you could network with them to see if they would help you conduct these polls. If there are companies in the area that could provide services for your program I would also contact them to see if they would be willing to lend their support. Showing that interest exists, particular in a large social body, can have a precipitous effect on elected officials when it comes to making decisions such as these.

My second suggestion is this. You mention in the proposal that you would like to eventually take these youths out into the waters of the bay. This leads me to wonder if you have a fishing industry that could possibly object to increased traffic in the area. This may not be a “real” issue but it could become a source of friction for people who are, naturally, concerned with the nature of their income and livelihood. If such an industry exists I would provide data that would indicate that such worries are not valid. A quick search using your local Public library or University Library should provide studies that would back up your position. You could also work with the local fisherman to preempt any concerns. For example, as a gesture of good will and community spirit you could offer to have training divers help local boat owners by cleaning off barnacles and to assist fisherman when they have issues with their props or propellers, such as removing rope or netting when/if it gets wrapped around such parts. Think of it as the equivalent of the High School Band group’s car wash for scuba divers. You could also set up a donation center which would not only help divert the cost of the program but would also seem to offer a degree of automation which might make the board more amenable to your proposal.

Third, you might want to contact DAN, if you have not already done so, and see if they offer any sort of group rate for insurance related to these sorts of programs. I know we usually think of DAN as being the insurance you want when abroad, but they may have such programs available if for nothing else than as a tax break. If you can also show the board that liability is covered in the event of an accident, (knock on wood), then that will go a long way in supporting your proposition. I like to think of these arguments as embodying the first axiom of medical training, which is “first, do no harm.” If you can convince the board that the proposal can be enacted with limited risk and with benefits that have long reaching impact, then you make it difficult to object without proper rationale, which they should be willing to give if they turn down your proposal. Remember, you want to be gracious, courteous, and generous as you box them into a corner.

Best,

Josh

Last edited:
I spent thirty years in agencies, reading proposals and making funding decisions.
First question: to whom is this being written? Town Hall? What does that mean?
Second question: why are "youth" 16-35? You need another term, or a different age range.
Third question: can it be shorter? MUCH shorter? Can it be more to the point, more cogent?
Last question: why do you think you need this?

Thank you all for the thoughtful feedback. I'll work on a major rewrite and appreciate how you've helped me formulate the presentation of what's been on my heart. I will reach out to the group, thank you for the link!

In answer to the questions.
The project will be funded by a youth engagement initiative and that proposal follows their (12 page) template including scope, long term impact and deliverables.

To be eligible for the fund I need the supporting resolution resolution on a local level. Committee of 12 politicians on a community level. The age range is determined by the fund and oddly designated as youth.

Shorter would be a breath of fresh air. I am getting bogged down clearly describing the program and reasoning. What is a reasonable length?

I don't know if I need this document at all. Perhaps a few paragraph summary is all that's required with a signature to accompany the proposal for them to look over? I have never tapped into funding before or entered the political arena like this.

If this gives a little background I would greatly appreciate your feedback even before my rewrite.

Thank you again,
Cameron

Last edited:
Update:

My rewrite based your recommendations was approved after the review of dozen committees and the program pilot is in March 2017!

I am grateful for the support you guys showed in helping make this a reality. Thank you.

Warm regards,
Cameron.

Update:

My rewrite based your recommendations was approved after the review of dozen committees and the program pilot is in March 2017!

I am grateful for the support you guys showed in helping make this a reality. Thank you.

Warm regards,
Cameron.
congrats

I'm glad to hear it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom