PST E8's in Canada

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Brand new. 1 dive. Ended up with a dime sized rust spot immediately.

Some of the rust spots can be surface spots from slag in the galvanizing process. These aren't much of an issue and could be sanded off but why bother. a 400 or 500 dollar tank should be perfect. Not close. Perfect. Luckily both Pressed Steel and the retailer I dealt with feel the same way.

The galvanized tanks are shiny until they oxidize after a dive or two. Cleaning the ink off with rubbing alcohol would make that part shiny again. Get it wet a few times and it'll dull down to that chain link fence colour.

Galvanizing is the most practical coating for a steel object exposed to the elements but even galvanizing has it's limitations.

I have dozens of the old steel 72's. Lots were made by PST and many are 50 years old. Most are still OK but on some however, rust spots have appeared. These are most likely due to a surface abrasion that has weakened the galvanized coating and allowed the steel to show. Galvanizing will wear off in time and there is no way to stop that process. In fact, the very slow deterioration of the galvanized coating is to be expected in salt water but that is what protects the steel tank. It's rather like the insertion of a catalytic bar in a hot water tank which corrodes but stops the corrosion of the tank itself (it's not a true catalyst but the analagy is close).
How long will the coating last? Many factors affect that determination not the least of which is the quality of the original coating. I doubt that any diver will live to see the coating of his new galvanized steel tank wear off if he takes care of the tank.
PST is certainly the expert on this subject and their tanks are renown.

I have a very old farm windmill that is galvanized at my home. I had to make a new tower for it when I rebuilt it several years ago because the original galvanized tower was starting to rust from the years of rain, wind and snow. It was originally built in 1911.
The galvanized steel tanks from PST shouldn't be a problem from a longevity perspective.

Anyone got some new news on these tanks? My LDS told me a nasty rumour that TC approved shipments may not even be ready for the 2004 season.

This is only a rumour at this point.

I know shipments are still coming in to southern Ontario......

SS

I have two E8-130's. Both are DOT and TC stamped. I live in the US but it seems the tanks are available. I'm not sure why they aren't making it up north.

I'm looking for 2 E8-130's. Whats your price?

Seriously, having a hard time understanding this all..... I just want some tanks! Perhaps I'll have to purchase from a shop in the States, and just make sure the TC stamp is on it. Any of the tanks that are shipping up here would make me wonder about the quality. I realize it would be covered under warranty, but I don't want to be shipping my tanks off a month after I get them.

I hear this company named "Faber" makes tanks as well.....

SS

Don't be silly!

Do you think that the tanks shipped to Canada are not exactly the same as any others?
The tanks are made and then stored at PST until ordered. They are all the same. When an order comes in whether from California or Ontario, the shipper simply goes to the stock and picks up a skid. There are no 'US' tanks and 'Canada' tanks.

The issue of the galvanizing is unconfirmed. I first mentioned that here and made the very broad hint that it was likely an excuse by PST to hide their inability to produce and ship efficiently. They've never been very good at getting product into the customer's hands. This very same situation prefaced the introduction of the first HP steel tanks and then the E7s.

Buy your tanks wherever you can fnd it! It will be the same tank.
We will wait until Diversco has them from PST before we get any. Some stores have ordered them direct from PST and may have some available for sale.

seahunter once bubbled...

Buy your tanks wherever you can fnd it! It will be the same tank.
We will wait until Diversco has them from PST before we get any. Some stores have ordered them direct from PST and may have some available for sale.

This is what I found out later today from my LDS.... and I agree that its the same tank wherever. Thats why I'm trying to wade thru the crap about the TC stamps and and the galv. issue.

I have since located a few shops who have the tanks....

Oh yeah, I heard the bankruptcy rumour again today too....

:)

SS

What bankruptcy rumor?
I can't spot any post with reference to that.

PST had a contract to galvanize gas tanks for GM, they put a lot of money into equipment to do it, the contract fell through, PST was left holding the bag...

This is hardly 'news.'

So!!

PST has spent fortunes before on failed ventures. Realize first that PST is a tiny arm of a giant corporation that can actually influence American government policy. Their resources are virtually unlimited. Realize second that the tank sales made by PST to the scuba market are barely discernible on their financial sheets.

We're not talking about a company that cannot accept losses -even immense losses. A major portion of the US eastern seaboard would have to take a dive before the corporation from which PST takes it's lead would be affected.

If you mean that the failure of one of their products would result in the removal of that product from the market then I'd agree that can and has happened. But the 'B' word is pure and uneducated speculation.
PST was making high pressure tanks before aluminum was a household word. I have PST tanks that are getting close to 60 years old.

Your decision to buy or not buy a PST steel cylinder should be based on your needs and the tank's ability to meet them. Don't worry about PST's future. I suggest they will be making tanks long after you've hung up your fins.

BTW, Scuba 2000 just received their first shipment of E-8s. It's likely these ones are already sold but the good news is that Diversco is receiving them and shipping them out to dive shops now. Check your LDS.

Back
Top Bottom