PST is it going under (No, they aren't)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

... do those matter any more?

You folks who think all the ranting I do about this kind of stuff is just the raving of someone who's had too many hits off either a pipe or a bottle need to wake up and start smelling the coffee....

This kind of thing goes on ALL THE TIME, and it is YOU (and I!), as voters, who allow it by electing these clowns to county commissions and city offices.

I had a location there in the mid 90s - we had a corner of TCG's telephone switching center, so I was up there quite a bit doing maintenance and checks - along with the initial install, of course :)

That town was a hoot.... way, way too big for their britches.

Genesis once bubbled...
That would be ugly.

The E9791 exemption has to be renewed every 2 years or the hydros expire on their next 5 year anniversary and cannot be re-done.

While someone may pick it up in this case, there is no guarantee that it would be picked up - and if it is not, then all the E9791 tanks would turn into pumpkins after their hydros run out.

Seems to me that (regardless of when your hydro is otherwise due) you'd then go down just prior to the exemption expiring, get the hydro, and thus extend the life to five years from that hydro date, right?

You could then get another 5 years out of the tanks.... but at that point, "they're all dead Jim!"

If you get surprised, you find out when your hydro is up and you go to the shop and get told "sorry, those tanks will make great wind chimes."

OneBrightGator once bubbled...
Sounds like a tall tale to me, but I suppose you never know. Thier new e-series tanks are about the best out there and are very popular, although I don't know if it'd be enough by itself to keep the company afloat.

Ben

I would tend to agree with you Ben. Based on my limited experience with big 3, they can be very hard-nosed, but won't "cut off their nose to spite their face" so-to-speak. It's unlikely, if the original story about PST supplying tanks to GM is true, that someone else would be waiting in the wings to supply the tanks at a "drop-of-a-hat", so it would be in GM's interest to apply judicious pressure to get their contract fulfilled.

It's even occurred that "critical" Tier-1 and Tier-2 suppliers have been temporarily "supported" when they risked going under. However, I don't think your company would want the kind of attention and "help" that the financial support from the big 3 would provide. :)

This rumors stem from the Compressed Natural Gas (CGN) market where we build large gas cylinders for alternative fueled vehicles. The government and the manufacturer of these vehicles, which can be from small cars to transit buses, are not sure of the future of using compressed natural gas to fuel these vehicles. PST is focusing their resources towards other gas cylinder (scuba) related market that best fits the company. At this point no one is sure of the future for alternative fueled vehicles.

PST has been producing quality gas cylinders for over 100 years, and we are looking forward to next 100 years.

Thomas Ivey
Product Mgr/Scuba Division

diverdeb001 once bubbled...
Sorry, could someone explain the E9791 exemption???db

The US Department of Transportation has a limited number of designations for high pressure gas cylinders. Because the material used to make these cylinders is different than Carbon Steel or Chrome Molybdenum, it gets an exemption number rather than a 3A or 3AA designation.

check out this link...

http://hazmat.dot.gov/exemptions/E09791.pdf

for specific information

Hope this helps,

Chris
COVCI

Woaaaho... so if i want to get propan for my car i need to get the tanks soon! Other then that PST is good to go for scuba tanks for a long time coming? That is kewl. I know that my LDS has a order for some 30+ E7 80 ft3. Thy have started a list of ppl that want to buy the tank and i dont think thy are even in yet! Proble still in solid metal form as im typing but i know there will be alot of happy diver here in Washington when thy come in. :wink:

P.S. COVCI i cant get that link to work is there another?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom