PST’s hot dip cylinders and others on the market?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

batmanusa

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hello everyone, if anyone can answer my inquiry I do appreciate your reply. I have two PST hp 100s and I am happy with them. I am interested in acquiring at least one PST LP 120. During my search I noticed the XS Worthington Cylinders. Are they as good? How does one measure “good” in this case? I want a hot dipped galvanized cylinder. I like the weight, anti-rust durability and they seem to last forever. Are there many if any differences between PST’s hot dip cylinders and others on the market?
Thanks.
Bat

Worthington is only option for HDG tank in the market... So, you have no choice.

Yes, W-tank is monopolizing the market at this moment. We need more competition.

Hey Hoosier,

What ever happened to all your confidence about PST's return to the market last year? You seemed to have inside information about what was going on. What has happened? And what's the current scoop?

By all accounts that I have seen the Worthington X series is just as good as the PST E Series. The Worthington's are not nearly as shiny on the shop floor but if you dive the PSTs they soon look the same. If you are looking for negativity in your steel cylinder and you probably are the Worthington's tend to be a little more negative as well. I'd buy them.

I second the Worthingtons. Diving my LP85's for two years and after salt dive or two they look rather grey. I don't abuse my tanks but the coating is in great shape.
If I am thinking right if a HDG coating from Worthington is damaged they will take care of it.
BTW, even when PST's future was all but done the price didn't change. And the price of the LP85's haven't changed over two years the last time I looked.

I just recently picked up my first steel cylinders, two Worthington HP 120s and paid $320/ea with valve and boot at my LDS. I was not in the market for them when PSTs were available. How did the PSTs compare in price to the Worthington cylinders when both were on the market? Is there an expectation that the Worthington cylinders will drop in price to reflect competition in the market when/if PSTs come back on line?

By the time Worthington hit the street PST was down to existing inventories so they never went head to head.

As I recall they were close with the exception of the E7-80. "Built for Tec but priced for REC". We picked our 4 up in 2005 for $204 USD each. That was a going price, not a special deal. I clearly remember contrasting that price to $349 for the E7-100.

Pete

fweber:
Hey Hoosier,

What ever happened to all your confidence about PST's return to the market last year? You seemed to have inside information about what was going on. What has happened? And what's the current scoop?

In my view, PST coming back with a competitive line of cylinders with any type of market share......and me going to heaven are about the same....................

BOTH may happen, but not in my lifetime.

Phil Ellis

fweber:
Hey Hoosier,

Because it was their plan and schedule like this.

"Their facilities within the Jisa FIZ will cover a total land area of 66,000 m2 and a floor space of 32,403 m2. The construction of their site is scheduled for completion in 2007 yet they will begin producing from their Jisa factories by the end of 2006. NKCF intends to hire a total of 400 employees from the Busan area to work at their new factories."

When I contact them at the begining of this year, I was told that the new facility was almost done. I will contact them again to get updated..

BTW, this is another news from PST site.

PST Scuba to Exhibit at DEMA 2007 Show in Orlando

August 2, 2007
E-Series Steel Diving Cylinders Return to Dive Market

PST Scuba is pleased to announce that we will be exhibiting at this year’s DEMA Show. Please plan to visit us at Booth #601.

On display will be our E-Series diving cylinders, featuring PST’s unique hot dipped galvanized finish.

In addition to unveiling our 2008 product line, we look forward to sharing news about our manufacturing improvements, and customer service initiatives.

Recognized for innovative cylinder design, quality and safety, PST Scuba is excited to bring our original E-Series steel diving cylinders back to the DEMA Show. We look forward to seeing you in Orlando!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom