PT-015 - Tray a Necessity?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dr. Jay

Contributor
Reaction score
Ok guys and gals, one more question for ya and I'll shut up and start taking pics :D!

Would having a tray for the PT-015/Oly C-5050 setup be kind of a necessity, or could I go tray-naked?

I searched for info on this topic and couldn't find a direct answer. I did see that some people often don't hold the tray when taking shots, but I was just curious if having a tray for this size camera/housing would be kinda important.

Thanks in advance.

A tray is definately not a neccessity. I use just the 5050 and pt-15 housing (for now until I can afford a nice strobe and tray). Check out http://www.digitaldiver.net/ There are quite a few 5050 users there that can give you advice, and there is a good chance its discussed there already.

Before anybody replies to Dr. Jay... i would like to take this opportunity to warn people why he needs the housing for his camera.

He emailed me today this picture taken by his camera... He said himself that he "got a few...but they would be better" [underwater]

taking underwater pictures of squirells... that's an outrage! how is he going to make squirells dive anyway ? sign them up for Padi openwater classes ? let them use his octo ???

Stop this madness before it is too late!

silly me.. gotta sleep and not sit here in front of the computer... _ashamed of the silliness_ exit stage left

Dr. Jay

I have a C-3020 and a PT-010. I don't have a tray yet and don't see any reason to have until I get a strobe. The set-up which is very much like yours works great without a tray. That would be the only reason that I would pick one up. I can't see any other way that the tray would help except to hold one or more strobes.

I've taken lots of pictures with mine using the internal flash and was pleasently suprised with them. If the water is pretty clear and you are pretty close to what you are shooting, the internal flash works great.

If I was at home I would post some so you could see them but I don't have access here at work.

Have Fun

Wreck Ranger

No tray it is. Thanks guys!

Wreck Ranger,

I remember seeing your pics from Blue Grotto. If they turned out that good w/out strobes, etc., I can't wait to get mine underwater :wink:

Hang on just a second there, Dr. Jay, I'll offer another viewpoint.

So, you are going to use your PT-015 with no strobes, huh? You'll be relying on the camera's internal flash and it's ttl system to give you exposure results that make you happy.

I think you'll find fairly quickly that flash compensation is useful underwater. The 5050 tends to overexpose images, especially underwater, just a little for my taste. I find that I am constantly reviewing the histogram, changing the flash compensation, and retaking the shot.

How do you do flash comp? You hold down BOTH buttons on the left side of the housing while spinning the jog dial. For me, this is a lot easier with a handle to provide a little leverage. I'd suggest the ULCS single Nikonos tray with AC-H handle, it does just the trick for me.

Ryan
www.uwcp.com
rc@ryancanon.com

Ryan,

Funny of you to hop over to the Scubaboard.

I just ordered one of the PT-015 camera housings from your website, Underwater Camera Pros! I'm hoping the order gets "approved", and I'm curious if the shipping is free or not :wink:.

I'm actually eager to get this setup in the water, because I've got a Keys trip coming up in mid-June and I just have to have this thing ready to go by then. I'm looking at practicing with at the local dive sites, and getting used to how all the features work underwater.

I'm actually just getting used to the immense amount of features on this camera, some of them leaving me totally stumped. I was playing around with the aperture today, but I was curious just what setting you use most underwater on the jog dial (I assume P for most shots), and then you adjust for others, also adjusting the macro button on the left.

This whole thing is so much fun, and I can't wait to get it underwater....that is....if the order works out :D

Thanks,
Jason

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom