Puerto Rico trip report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Aquabear

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Puerto Rico Dive Trip Report Nov 09
My wife and I just came back from a trip to Puerto Rico which had some smiles and some…. well read and you’ll see. Dived in 2 spots - Desecho Island and Crash Boat Beach.

Stayed in Auqarius Boqueron Beach. Nice place.

Visited Cabo Rojo lighthouse, beautiful. Saw the salt flats with their red/pink color. Next time there will bring lunch to explore more and swim at the beach.

Sunday Nov 22 2009 Desecho Island – WOW. What a great place. 13 miles/45 min ride off PR. Waves were not bad at all to/from to island but rough seas can cancel a trip. We used Taino Divers man they are a fun group they’re def on island time and it happily  is contagious. Boat had 10 divers, gave ok dive brief, no head, no cabin, clean, radio, emergency gear, double hull. Def a more independent diver boat than others but we’re ok with that. Viz was an easy 150’ almost surreal clear, clean and blue. Strong healthy and beautiful hard and soft corals, amazing, exactly what I had been dreaming it would be. Lots of typical marine coral garden life brain coral, barrel sponges. Swim thru caves, turtles, blennies. So glad we had our camera and housing. One site was candyland I believe. Check out the blue water pics.

Monday Nov 23 2009 am. Playa Crash Boat (beach) – Shore dive. Rented gear from PRTDC- PR Technical Dive Center Welcome to PRTDC from Brenda. Friendly, courteous, great dive advice, shore dive site knowledge and even assisted us with booking other dives such as The Wall at Parguera with a guide she referred. Can’t say enough good things about her. I had been there 4 years ago in March snorkeling and it was beautiful, I knew I would be back to dive here one day. The water clarity was amazing last time maybe 50’-60’ viz but now it was 15-20’ viz. The barrel sponges are HUGE, good amount of sea life, one moray small size, hundreds of fireworms and more. Current was mild so had to be careful to not get pushed into the pilings but otherwise was ok. All was covered in silt so colors were muted. Def need navigation skills here as each group of pilings cannot be seen due to low viz. Beach was empty the Monday before thanksgiving. Long bottom time over an hour as depth was about 20’-30’ and still hit beach with 1000 psi.

Monday Nov 23 2009 about 4pm. Playa Jobos (beach) Here’s where all hell broke loose. The lava rock jetty in front of the beach is deadly not dangerous. A small sign before the rocks says Peligroso but that’s an understatement. DO NOT GO OUT ONTO THESE ROCKS THE WAVES ARE VERY DECEIVING. My wife and I started walking carefully on the spearhead sharp rocks when after a minute being there a huge over the rocks wave hit us. It knocked her down about 4’ with some bumps, bruises and one long laceration but she said the wave took 20-25’ hitting every rock along the way. The people on the beach all said they thought I was dead. They were wrong but they were the best good Samaritans you would want in an emergency situation. Thankfully some knew first aid, some military training in medical emergencies they saved me from bleeding to death. Thank you strangers on the beach and thanks to that little eboy and mom for their prayers. End result, over 200 stitches, 40 staples, deep torn muscle tissue in thigh, 1.5”x7” laceration down to the bone on left shin sprained shin with torn tendons, 3 fractures in left hand/thumb plus dislocated middle finger in left hand. Look at the pics to really see it all. Had to be Med Evac due to serevity of condition to Stony Brook University Trauma center back home in NY. It was that or San Juan, I’d rather be closer to home. Thankfully my wife is an Insurance Consultant so the $40,000 medevac was covered by Ins.

Now still recovering at home. Hospital bed on main floor, daily home nursing, whirlpool wound treatment, multiple surgeons Ortho, Plastics, Trauma it’s all a mouthful but I’m alive!

Aside from the accident was the diving Great or just good. Was thinking about a trip there or Bermuda, since Jersey has sucked the last couple of months. Not sure which spot would give me the best time!!!

aquabear,
while diving desecho with taino divers did you meet a dm named emily?
i was on the s/v juliet for a week and she was on the liveaboard as substitute crew.
i have to agree with you on the quality of the reef system.
regards,

AquaBear, your accident is unfortunate. Especially as you both were having so much fun. As a Puerto Rican, I can honestly say we do tend to exaggerate and are masters of understatement too. I'll add a big thank you to the good Samaritans for their quick and professional response. I sincerely hope you have a complete recovery.

Happy Holidays,
Carmen

Dive PR. Bermuda has some good wrecks I think but PR is a larger island hence more stuff to do. Desecho was GREAT hands down, you wanna dive here. Crash boat beach dive was nice but depends on vis and current. For one who dives in NY conditions in Crash Boat were great! If I had more time I would've done a second day of diving Desecho, easily.

I wanted to dive the Wall in Parguera as I heard it was great like Desecho.

Emily was there, funny, great personality, first mate, had a blast with her onboard.

Thanks Carmen:D. Slowly healing, but am heart and head strong about a full recovery. Happy Holidays to you all.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom