Western P.R. (Rincon) - AirBnb for Divers!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JossRincon

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hello folks! I've been here on the forum only since 2023, but have been diving since 2016. Right around that time my husband and I started traveling to Puerto Rico and immediately fell in love with the town of Rincon on the West side. In 2018 we found a home right off the beach and about a 5 minute walk from Taino Divers, who we frequently go out with for boat dives to local reefs and Desecheo Island. Since we moved in, we've stayed here during the winter months, enjoying not only the many dive spots here in Rincon, but the proximity to other shops and amazing dive sites/areas (Parguera and Aguadilla for the most part, but we do also try to get across the island to Vieques and Culebra when we can.) Just off the beach here, we've seen Humpback Whales, Dolphins, Nurse and Reef Sharks, and an amazing variety of creatures and coral.

Winter is a more rough month, so diving is at the whim of the ocean/waves - but from spring into late fall it's much more calm. We are not consistently here over those months, though, so we decided to open up our house for short term rentals and would love to welcome divers who'd like to experience what Rincon and the island of PR has to offer.

For our own diving habits, we installed a backyard rinse/soak/hanging area for wetsuits/etc. and then a rack in the front entryway where we can store gear instead of having it in the house. The house can fit up to 4 people, and it's in a more residential/quiet neighborhood (best fish tacos in Rincon are about a 10 minute walk away, though!)

If you've been tempted to visit Rincon, please do check us out. And regardless, if you have questions about diving in Rincon or PR in general, I'm very happy to answer anything I can or point you in the right direction. Here's our link:

Casa Recife Rincon will be open for guests beginning late May 2024, but if you have March or April travel plans, feel free to contact me to see if we can help.

Cheers, and hope to see you on a dive someday!

Joss

Hey Joss! Welcome to ScubaBoard. I live in Mayagüez and I just happened to dive with Taino Divers last Monday. I was hoping to go to Desecheo but the captain decided to dive around Tres Palmas. Oh well. I'll try again when the weather is better.

Hope to see you in a dive someday. Cheers!

Hey Joss! Welcome to ScubaBoard. I live in Mayagüez and I just happened to dive with Taino Divers last Monday. I was hoping to go to Desecheo but the captain decided to dive around Tres Palmas. Oh well. I'll try again when the weather is better.

The folks at Taino are great. I do love the local reef dives - but Desecheo is special. I did learn today (we stopped by Taino prior to a shore dive) that Taino is not doing as many runs to Desecheo right now as they used to. Aquatica up in Aguadilla is. They follow the weather and try to give a couple days notice - you can call them for a spot on their waitlist (we did that today).

On the other hand, it was near Tres Palmas/Maria's last year (with Taino) that we ended up being right in front of 4 Humpbacks as they popped up for a hello! It's always good in the water.

Taino is not doing as many runs to Desecheo right now as they used to
They told me that as well. Apparently a lot of people got seasick in the way to Desecheo, and back.

They are also getting a lot of snorkelers to come along. Last time we had six divers and six snorkelers.

Aquatica up in Aguadilla is
This is great to know! Thanks for sharing. I will check them out.

Hi Joss!

I’ll be in PR at the end of March for a bachelor party in San Juan but am planning to go early to get 2 days of diving in. I’m torn between diving in Rincon or alternatively staying down in Parguera or Guanica and diving the wall. If you had 2 days, where do you think would be the best spot to post up and dive?

Lane

Rincón is a better place to stay at. You can still dive both places anyways. The drive from Rincon to Guánica will be about 1h15min.

Let us know when and where you’ll dive and I may join you.

Hi Joss!

I’ll be in PR at the end of March for a bachelor party in San Juan but am planning to go early to get 2 days of diving in. I’m torn between diving in Rincon or alternatively staying down in Parguera or Guanica and diving the wall. If you had 2 days, where do you think would be the best spot to post up and dive?

Lane
I'd do Parguera, to be honest - right now it's the most varied spot to go to. Paradise Scuba and Snorkel are AMAZING (we were just out there Thursday, actually, so sorry I didn't reply sooner!). We did an incredible wall dive and saw a couple of reef sharks close up, tons of Green Morays... it was great.

There is a nice spot in Parguera just opening up, the Parguera Plaza Hotel - we had a great stay for our little getaway. Let us know what you end up booking (call ahead asap to book!)

I am going to Rincon for the first time in a couple weeks. We plan to dive with Taino Divers. We plan to do one shore dive and one boat dive. I know it is weather dependent - but do you recommend signing up the dives in advance, and taking our chances with weather/waves or should we wait until we get to PR? Sounds like the water is pretty rough right now . Any advice for a newbie?

I am going to Rincon for the first time in a couple weeks. We plan to dive with Taino Divers. We plan to do one shore dive and one boat dive. I know it is weather dependent - but do you recommend signing up the dives in advance, and taking our chances with weather/waves or should we wait until we get to PR? Sounds like the water is pretty rough right now . Any advice for a newbie?

I wouldn’t worry about the weather. If they cancel, they should return you your money. Check about that with them.

Also, Taino Divers dives relatively close to the shore. So I don’t think weather will have a big impact.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom