Trip Report Puerto Rico Trip Report August 2023

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

And this. On Bonaire and Cozumel, there are a number of well-recognized named resorts or hotels where people reading trip reports can go and have a good chance to replicate a good experience. With AirBnB or VRBO type trips, we don't know where you stayed or what it looked like (plus odds of availability on planned travel dates is iffy). I'm not knocking your choice and it's what many people prefer. I doubt Puerto Rico has anything with the function and name recognition of Buddy Dive Resort in Bonaire, for example. There's not a clear 'all in one package' offering one can book, leaving only airfare to worry about.

You’re certainly right. We prefer the Airbnb travel versus an all-inclusive experience, but there’s nothing like Buddy Dive in PR as far as I know. We also were traveling as 5 people altogether, including my 3 year old daughter who sleeps early, so hotels aren’t the best if you are with small children.

We travel almost exclusively with Airbnb and we generally plan out where we will stay 9-12 months in advance. Finding what we considered reasonable accommodations in San Juan (~$600/night) with 4 bedrooms, a pool and not feel like it was decorated in 1990 was challenging. Our accommodation which was $550/night didn’t have AC in the living room or toilets - it wasn’t a huge deal because we like sitting outside - but it gives you a sense of the price of things here. You can find it the DR level of comfort in the $900+/night range (which in the DR we had for around $500/night). All this to say, things are expensive here compared to some other choices, especially considering what you get for the money.

I think Rincon and La Parguera are cheaper than staying in San Juan.

Glad you did and reported on them. That's part of the uncertainty looking at Puerto Rico - it's spread out, so where to dive, how much traveling around is necessary, how far apart are these places and how much hassle is the trip, a number of questions come to mind.

San Juan to Rincon is a bit over 2 hours.
Rincon to La Parguera is about 60-70 minutes.

Driving isn’t much different than on the mainland other than the lawless driving. People will turn left from a far right lane, frequently blow red lights, drive either 20 under or 20 over the speed limit. Everyone is on their cell phones. But there’s no other way to get around. Traffic is bad at rush hour. All in all though, the driving wasn’t a big deal since we were here for 2 weeks.

I love Bonaire and Cozumel, but topside I wouldn't stack their beauty against Puerto Rico's El Yunque Rainforest. Given how large Puerto Rico is, I'm a little surprised by this. Dominican Republic had some nice rainforest IIRC from a cruise stop many years ago.

You’re right - I forgot to mention this. The nature in PR is some of the nicest you’ll find in the Caribbean (in the same category as the DR which I visited for 2 weeks earlier this year). El Yunque is wonderful. I was mostly referring to the towns which, besides Old San Juan - which is really nice, are not attractive. It’s full of strip malls and dilapidated buildings. There’s reasons for this. Although PR is a richer island than the DR and other Caribbean destinations, it is still not a rich destination and the infrastructure has taken a hit over the years. Besides Old San Juan, I found most of the towns pretty ugly when we drove through. Exceptions would include Rincon and La Parguera both had cute town centers with restaurants that you could walk around to if you stayed downtown.

If someone is trying to decide between it and, oh, Dominican Republic, Cozumel, Bonaire or non-mainland Belize, do you think staying in one place in Puerto Rico (let's say Rincon with a side trip to La Parguera) for a week is good enough to compete well with those options, or is Puerto Rico more for people who, as you say, want a big island - and will presumably travel around to sample varied topside offerings spread around?

Appreciate the recommendation. What was Rincon like topside? Did it look a place you'd enjoy staying and eating for a week? Is Rincon, topside and the diving, good enough to justify a week just staying and diving there?

I don’t think you should visit PR without checking out Old San Juan and El Yunque, which is really impressive. In the city, the two major forts on the island actually saw battle and they are very interesting to visit, along with the rest of Old Town. The restaurants were also excellent here. If I were making an ideal itinerary, I’d probably fly into SJU and then immediately drive to Rincon for 2-3 days of diving, then move to La Parguera for 2-3 days, and then go back to the capital and spend 2 days so that you can take a side trip to El Yunque and also visit the city. It gets tight to cover everything in one week but you can do it. We took 2 weeks because we really wanted to see some of the top side activities.

Rincon and La Parguera both have Coffee Plantations / Haciendas nearby that are quite cool to see. There’s also crash boat beach in Rincon that is popular for hanging out or water sports (you can do a shore dive there too).

When it comes to beaches, tamper your expectations. The beaches are okay here, but frequently have zero infrastructure and they are not like you would get on Culebra, Viques, DR, or as good as anywhere else honestly. Several times we had to change beaches because there were no umbrellas to rent, no food, or no toilets. Remember though, we’re traveling as a family with a small child and a grandmother, so these were important for us and may not be relevant to others depending on what you want from a beach. If you’ve ever been to Tel Aviv or Rio, don’t have those expectations here.

With all these criticisms I’m giving, I still think it’s a great destination to go to and completely under appreciated for diving. But it’s probably for certain kinds of travelers who don’t necessarily care about an all-inclusive experience and instead want to make a more bespoke trip.

Thanks for the great trip report! I’ve briefly looked at Puerto Rico as a dive getaway, but we like to mix some shore diving in, as well as a couple of boat dives. Did you see any shore diving, or notice if any of the shops you dealt with were set up for it? Also, did you find August to be a good time to go? I know hurricanes are always a possibility this time of year, but I’m not sure when the optimal time is. It does look like you had some excellent visibility.

Thanks again,

Erik

Thanks for the kind words!

There is shore diving at Crash Boat beach. I didn’t try it as I wasn’t in Rincon long enough. There’s one shop that does shore dives there. I asked one of the DIs about this from Taino and she told me there’s actually a good number of shore dives you can do around, you just have to know where and it’s not really documented anywhere. I think I would start with some boat dives and then ask the DIs where to do shore diving. I suspect the shop would do fills for you as everyone seems accommodating here but certainly call to find out. Things are just not organized like that here.

In your question you reminded me though - there is no Nitrox to be found on the island as of this post. Paradise told me their compressor will be back up and running in a few weeks and they can offer it. But every shop I asked and I was told no. I think there’s not enough demand.

August has the benefit that it is low season here, so you aren’t competing with anyone (I.e. you’ll get some lower prices). That said, it is very hot and humid. We don’t mind the heat and always plan ahead by making sure our accommodation has a pool. But some days were very oppressive. It didn’t really get in the way of doing anything and our 3 year old faired just fine. You get island rains here fairly often - almost every day - but they last for a short time (5-30min max) and then the sun opens up again.

Visibility was sub-par in Culebra and Fajardo (10-18m), but very good in Rincon and La Parguera (20-30m+).

When PR gets hurricanes it tends to be late in the season towards September and October. August is probably the latest in the season I would come here. There’s some potential storm activity right now about a week away.

Nice report. You have renewed my interest in PR. I went out to Rincon once from San Juan with the idea of doing some diving, but the weather was uncooperative and I aborted the diving idea and just passed the time with rum and Cokes. I don't remember much of Rincon.

Nice report. We (wife & I) visited Fajardo about 15 yrs ago. Agree, the diving was just OK. However, Old San Juan, el Yunque, & Culebra Island, and the food in Fajardo was top notch.

My wife doesnt dive, so I dont think I could drag her to the better diving in the South. So I content myself with the OK diving, but better topside actitivites, in Fajardo.

I’m from Puerto Rico and fairly new to diving. Reading all yo ur messages makes me feel so blessed to live here.

All my dives have been in La Parguera with Island Scuba. And they have all been incredible. Highly recommended.

I’m from Puerto Rico and fairly new to diving. Reading all yo ur messages makes me feel so blessed to live here.

All my dives have been in La Parguera with Island Scuba. And they have all been incredible. Highly recommended.
First, welcome to Scubaboard, and to diving.
Second, thanks for letting us know about options for dive operators that you have used firsthand. This kind of information is wonderful for those of us considering a trip to Puerto Rico.
Congratulations on your recent certification, and enjoy this new found hobby!

Erik

Happy to answer any questions folks have. I will follow this post with some photos.
I have seen many dire reports from south Florida about record high water temperatures killing coral, etc.; and I believe much of the Caribbean has been similarly affected. How was the ocean temperature and did you notice any effects from the high temperatures? (Though I know it is hard to judge when you haven't been there before.)

Thanks,
Jim

I have family in PR (Dorado Beach and San Juan) We love it there, but I have never been able to dive because we usually travel in winter and the winds blow everything out. It is a beautiful island with great people and history- Old San Juan is really cool and walkable. And the food!
Rock climbing is becoming very popular there as well- it's not my bag, but my brother/sister in law go a few times a year and love the climbing there.
Glad you had a nice trip and thanks for sharing the report.

Great report. Thank you for sharing your time and experience. I've dive Parguera and Escanbron and one day will go back to do Rincon based on your report. :thumb: I love the island food, specially the fritters stuff with seafood, and the whole roasted pork found on the side of the road mom-pop shacks

I love the island food, specially the fritters stuff with seafood, and the whole roasted pork found on the side of the road mom-pop shacks
Mofongo. Lechon.

Back
Top Bottom