Trip Report Puerto Rico Trip Report August 2023

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Great pics and reviews, thank you! We live in Rincon part of the year (as soon as it gets cold on the mainland, lol) and we also love Taino Divers. We had an amazing close encounter with 4 Humpbacks the last time we were with them (late March, I think), literally just offshore in one of the crew's favorite spots.

I agree the reefs in the Marine Reserve there in Rincon makes for some amazing diving - but will also say that Desecheo is a different level of beautiful. Amazing corals there compared to what is currently on the coast, so come back and hopefully the next trip will take you to the Island!

Paradise Scuba in Parguerra absolutely rocks. Every time we go with them, we have a great time. We go out with them for the bio bay tours if we have friends visiting, which can be really fun.

Also must recommend Vieques as a wonderful dive spot, too - one dive we saw something like 5 nurse sharks, each napping in their own little coral cubbies. That was with Isla Nena Scuba - small boat, but that means less folks also and man the dive master knew the terrain.

Because we live in Rincon, we do a lot of shore diving by ourselves, and we don't really feel a driving need to leave the West coast in order to have good dive options. Visiting there short-term, staying on the west coast with Rincon as a base (or split time between there and the Parguerra/Guanica area) will give one a LOT of good scuba and snorkel options!

Cheers, and maybe we'll see ya on the Katmandu in Rincon sometime!

Joss

My wife doesnt dive, so I dont think I could drag her to the better diving in the South. So I content myself with the OK diving, but better topside actitivites, in Fajardo.

Haha, check out Copamarina's Spa services and events etc. May be easier to convince your wife...

Hi guys, we're glad you guys enjoy our spot here in Copamarina!

We want to give you the best experience that the Southwest of Puerto Rico can offer.

If you decide to scuba dive with us, you don’t have to go hour long drives to get to the diving destination. It takes just a few minutes to go from your room at the resort to our onsite dive shop and from the dive shop to the dock.

To add more information about the activities inside or nearest the resort. Inside the resort we have Spa, Gym, 2 restaurants, 3 pools, Kayak rentals, hobie cat rental, and we also have activities for the noncertified like snorkeling or a discover scuba in the beautiful Gilligan's island. Outside of the resort we have the dry forest of Guanica, which is part of a national biosphere that cover an area that reaches all the way to the wall (Famous Dive Spot). We have a hiking trail that takes you to the Fort Capron which is amazing for Instagram pictures.

Our location is perfect for those of you who consider yourselves as outdoors folk. We have a lot of amazing places to explore outdoors.

Culturally speaking we are in the best place to get to know the real Puerto Rico.

We have Lajas, Cabo Rojo, Mayagüez, Hormigueros, San German and Ponce very close by. All of them very culturally rich towns with their own fun traits.

• Cabo Rojo has some of the best beaches in Puerto Rico, it’s also full of hiking locations.
  • Mayaguez is known for its party nightlife and bar hopping. Another interesting fact is that the second masonic lodge in the Americas
  • Lajas has la Parguera known for its many sand bars. Caracoles, being the most famous sand bar, can get crowded with a lot of party boats in the high season, which can be good or bad depending on what experience you’re looking for.
  • San German is the second oldest town in Puerto Rico (first being old San Juan). Being one of the most culturally rich places in Puerto Rico comes as a given, since it was the 2nd built mayor town.
  • Hormigueros is one of the smallest towns known for hills. The town is full of historic buildings.
  • Ponce is the second largest town in Puerto Rico, and just like Hormigueros it is full of historic buildings.

What are prices like relative to other Carib locations. There seem to be some cost savings getting to PR, and your phone works there for example, but once you are there how are costs for diving, equipment, food, housing, transport, etc?

Diving + equipment rental will run you about $130 + taxes for a two tank boat dive.

Diving + equipment rental will run you about $130 + taxes for a two tank boat dive.
But Don Q rum mixed with local tropical fruits is cheap and much better than Bacardi. They grow pineapple for LOTUS company, also guava, coconuts, passion fruits and lime for local consume. Did you know the piña colada was invented in Puerto Rico at the Hilton Hotel ?

Back
Top Bottom