Pulau Weh - worth a stopover ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I also like to see how Banda Ache recovered from the Tsunami
It was one of the reasons I got attached to Weh after my first trip. I got to see how resilient the place is, how the people have recovered and rebuilt their society. My best friend there lost his entire family during the tsunami, watching his mother die a horrifying death in front of his eyes, then almost got trafficked, somehow survived the streets, and eventually learned to be an excellent scuba instructor with an enormous respect for nature underwater.

I'm finishing my 5 days x 5 dives/day in Puerto Galera. Even though the diving is lovely and the reef is very nice, I still feel underwhelmed and think that Weh is much, much better and more magical. The reef is less nice than PG but similar vibe, except A WHOLE LOT more little and medium fish, some bigger things like sharks and rays, and unreasonably huge morays undulating through the water like dragons. Ofc PG wins a million times over when it comes to muck and macro, which isn't Weh's forte, but it's not your interest anyway. I go there for the atmosphere, the very friendly, unafraid animals, and the feeling of being one with the fish. Weh's best dives can be compared to very good dives in Komodo, and Weh'd mid dives are slightly better than PG's mid dives with an average, competent but not amazing muck/macro guide.

Back
Top Bottom