Cost of dives in Fiji and advice – is it really worth it?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

traps for young players are Fiji VAT, when we were quoted for a trip in 2022 the Fiji Gov had lowered VAT due to COVID, but raised it by the time we paid our bill at the end of the trip. That hurt. Generally prices are quoted ex VAT. The other gotcha is credit card surcharges, if paying by CC in Fiji. I can’t remember what the surcharge was but it was a bit of bill shock at it included the VAT charges.
Despite that is was still an awesome trip

I'm planning a 2-3 weeks trip to the Fijis in August 2024 and have been looking at the websites of a few resorts. All of them seem expensive, but what I found bit disturbing (and unusual at the very least) is that they do not specify how much diving costs (like a standard 2-tank dive), nor they have a "diving+stay" package (at least, they do not advertise them on their website). I'm asking myself why. Could anyone who's been there let me know what's the average cost of diving at resorts in Taveuni, Volivoli, Beqa/Pacific Harbour? (Of course, it is implied here that I intend to book the trip directly with the resorts rather than diving tour operators, which may offer such packages).

My budget is (relatively) limited and I have to carefully plan in order to understand whether I can make it or it's better to stick to other destinations that for a similar price would offer a great experience. I've been diving since 1995 all around the world, especially in Indonesia (remote world-class locations including multiple trips to R4,Banda Sea, Halmahera, Sulawesi, Komodo, etc.) as well as Australia, Palau, etc. I love sharks and big fish so I would rather opt for French Polynesia or Galapagos/Malpelo/Cocos island, but I also love soft corals and want to see Fiji at least once in my life. I'm from Europe and will be flying from SEAsia (Singapore does not seem to have many direct flights... any other options?).

I wanted to do a live aboard on Nai'a, which has fabulous ratings, but the cost is absolutely out of my budget—nearly 5000 euros for one week diving that from what I've read is comparable to R4 is way too much for me, and I'd rather spend it on a trip to French Polynesia, Galapagos, or some new destination in Indonesia (i.e. Triton Bay, which is however impossible to do in August).

Any suggestions for stay+dive options that are nice yet will not put me out of pocket would be much appreciated!

Realdiver
August should be a good time to do it. New local dive agency regularly dives the sites.. loads of advice ..waterlustfiji.com

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom