Punta Cana DR Dive Shop Recommendations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

How long (time) was the drive from PC. It would be just a day trip if I were to do as we have other commitments in PC.

How long (time) was the drive from PC. It would be just a day trip if I were to do as we have other commitments in PC.
It's about an hour. Depends on what resort you are at though. I was at the Majestic but I'd say +/- 15 minutes depending on the resort.

Obviously, pricing may be different now than in March, and I rolled into a package of 10-15 dives, but here are the details from my email with scuba fun.

Let's start with the Saona trip: the cost for the 2 Discover divers would be 145.00US per person

The cost for the adult snorkelers would be 70.00US per person the cost for the 2 older kids would be 37.00US and the small child free.

The transportation for your group would be 100.00US cash price round trip. We would pick you up at 0730 outside the main gate.

The trips is from around 0930 to 16:30

We would do the theory normally here or on the boat during the first dive so no one needs to wait.

------

The soana island excursion dive sites were the Atlantic princess ( a shallow wreck with tons of fish that was great for snorkeling over, I dove) and Peñon (one of the best dive sites in bayahibe and this was where they did the discover scuba dives, very calm and chill). Then we had a massive catered lunch on Saona island. There were locals there giving massages so my buddy got one after lunch and the kids had some hair braiding done. I chilled in a hammock on the beach. On the way back we stopped in some sandy shallows and hung out and had drinks while snorkeling over massive starfish all over the place. A very chill and relaxing end to the water adventures.

I mention that in case there are other non-divers that want to join. Otherwise, you could just do the more local dives than the Saona island excursion. But it's a well-liked excursion frequently mentioned for Punta Cana.

I have never stayed nor dove in Punta Cana.
I have dove in Bayahibe multiple times with 3 different shops. The ride from the airport to Bayahibe is 45/50 minutes. There are several dive shops in Bayahibe and I believe most of them offer a Punta Cana pick-up option.
Most of the dives are on the shallower side, but if they are shuttling you back to Punta Cana they will likely be timed dives 45 minutes max.
We have visited for Christmas week, June, Sept, and several times for the middle two weeks of December. The weather has almost always been good, no red flags, no cancelled dive days.
ScubaFun was good, very accommodating, but on the Catalina trip, timings were determined by the snorkel group, this was annoying as I felt since I booked a dive trip on a dive boat we should have ruled, the snorkelers were clueless and constantly in the way when we were gearing up and re-boarding. :-( Not an issue if your group includes snorkelers I guess.
Coral was less than Roatan, but generally healthy looking, fish included the usual. No sharks but seahorses, turtles, rays, and an octopus, also dolphins on the surface.
This Dec we are going to Samana for a change.

Agreed. I would not go to Dominican Republic if you intend to do a dive-SPECIFIC trip
Our experience with Bayahibe DR diving: Not horrible. Average. Not the most vibrant coral or florid marine life we've seen, but probably worth going diving at least a 2-tank dive if you have a day free.

(if caribbean, i suggest Bonaire or Curacao for great shore diving, or Turks and Caicos, which has great scuba diving, but also excellent snorkelling from shore if you have non-diver family members.

having said that, if you're going to the DR for some regular R&R anyway, and want to throw in a dive-trip day (as a reprieve from the beach or by pool at a resort), a day in Bayahibe may be worthwhile.
If with non-divers, they may enjoy a sail or snorkel excursion trip to Catalina Island.

the beach there is among the best we've been too. superwhite soft sand (better than Island Saona)

Agreed. I would not go to Dominican Republic if you intend to do a dive-SPECIFIC trip
Our experience with Bayahibe DR diving: Not horrible. Average. Not the most vibrant coral or florid marine life we've seen, but probably worth going diving at least a 2-tank dive if you have a day free.

(if caribbean, i suggest Bonaire or Curacao for great shore diving, or Turks and Caicos, which has great scuba diving, but also excellent snorkelling from shore if you have non-diver family members.

having said that, if you're going to the DR for some regular R&R anyway, and want to throw in a dive-trip day (as a reprieve from the beach or by pool at a resort), a day in Bayahibe may be worthwhile.
If with non-divers, they may enjoy a sail or snorkel excursion trip to Catalina Island.

the beach there is among the best we've been too. superwhite soft sand (better than Island Saona)
I have to disagree, I been to Bonaire once in 2006 and have no intention of ever going back, the diving was boring and repetitive. I have been to Cozumel once in 2000 and will probably go back. I have been to Bayahibe 4 times and am returning next April.

I have to disagree, I been to Bonaire once in 2006 and have no intention of ever going back, the diving was boring and repetitive. I have been to Cozumel once in 2000 and will probably go back. I have been to Bayahibe 4 times and am returning next April.
Interesting. Is that strictly based on the diving or also factoring in culture or cost?

For me, Bonaire was way more diverse and interesting strictly from a diving perspective. The rest of the island is pretty damn boring though but a few things to keep you interested.

Interesting. Is that strictly based on the diving or also factoring in culture or cost?

For me, Bonaire was way more diverse and interesting strictly from a diving perspective. The rest of the island is pretty damn boring though but a few things to keep you interested.
Strictly based on the diving, I found it boring and repetitive. We enjoyed the restaurants, town and driving around the island.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom