purge valves

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

These sorts of troubles can be eliminated with safe progressive exposure like Walter described. Diving is an adaptation to an environment were are not meant to be in. We can enjoy it safely but some level of mental reprogramming is often needed.

Pete

I kind of like my purge valve when there is a litle bit of water in my mask, I can just breathe out of my nose and clear it. However, during a full mask flood I use the non-purge method of purging, I find using the purge just takes longer, so I let air come out the bottom of my mask.

And I have no equalization issues with it despite wearing fairly thick gloves.

I have had both purge and non-purge masks and to be honest, I didn't notice a whole lot of difference with either.

When recently purchasing a new mask, I opted for a non-purge Atomic frameless and have been extremely pleased. It's very easy to clear and equalize and honestly, if you blow hard enough with your nose and like your strap fairly snug like I do, it clears kind of like a purge valve anyway.

I would probably say try and stick with a mask with no purge, one less thing to fail in the end. :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom