Purging of instructors?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I had a chance to see some old archives of the GUE website a while ago. Every year since they started listing instructors, they have had sizable turnover with their instructor core. Its really nothing new.

Somehow I suspect there will be a reasonable amount of instructors teaching good tech/cave classes - even if GUE somehow goes away.

Edit:
The first archive I can find with instructor listings is here. That original list has 22 instructors.

Compare that to the list of instructors for the end of 2000 here. In a little over a year and a half, 5 of the original instructors had moved on.

The numbers aren't new, it's the quality.

Since I've followed GUE from pretty much its' inception till now, and I know who has come and who has gone, I can say that it's not about the numbers of those that have come and gone. It's about the quality and distribution. The initial 2 waves of GUE instructors came with a resume that were 2nd to none and taught courses reflecting their experience and were pretty much located where it matters. There was a plethora of Cave and Tech guys to choose from and we knew who they were and what they had done. Check out the courses available and locations of the GUE Cave/Tech instructors that were available in the original list and the ones that are listed now.

The instructors that have come since then have pretty much been all DIRF guys that are pretty much anonymous with not a huge record to stand on.

Well, as long as there is someone to man the fax machine, renewing cards should be simple as there is no extra "training" required (for a non-instructor position)

If the entire thing goes to crud, I guess in theory there could be some kind of issue if you go to a place where people do not know you ...

Or go to someplace where they don't ask for technical CCards...which is like, everywhere.

Reports of GUE's demise are premature. <g>

I'm reminded of an episode of "Cheers," where a barbershop quartet came into the bar arguing over who screwed up in some ongoing competition. Finally, the bass singer walked out in disgust, and the remaining three were left wondering out loud how they would complete the rest of the competition.

Norm got up from his stool at the bar and said, "I couldn't help but overhear you guys. I actually sing bass, and it's been a lifelong dream of mine to sing in a barbershop quartet."

One of the three said, "well, we don't really have much of a choice. Do you know 'Camptown Ladies'?"

Norm excitedly said, "Sure!", and they proceeded to sing a wonderfully broad interpretation.

After they were done, the three singers started to celebrate because they found a better bass singer than they ever had. Meanwhile, Norm went back to his stool and sat down with his beer. The others were puzzled, asking "aren't you going to come with us to the competition?"

Norm replied, "no."

"But I thought you said that it was a lifelong dream of yours to sing in a barbershop quartet," one implored.

Norm calmly replied, "yes, but now it's a reality. Thanks for the memories." Cue cheers opening theme song...

There are many different reasons why instructors have come to GUE and left- many have just reached the end of their teaching days and have gone on to better paying jobs. Others have their own reasons, but in any case, GUE still has its appeal to many instructors, and "new" doesn't mean "underqualified" by any stretch. Plus, there are still quite a few instructors with big resumes on the list.

Given time, the bench will deepen again. There are too many people still excited by what GUE has to offer to worry about its future.

Cameron

Or go to someplace where they don't ask for technical CCards...which is like, everywhere.

I admit that I have only done tech diving in SoCal and Seattle, and in seattle, usually have access to a garage compressor and private boat.

I am pretty sure the stores here are not gonna start filling trimix and nitrox over 40% without a tech card.

I dont have any experience elsewhere. Maybe others do?

The numbers aren't new, it's the quality.

The instructors that have come since then have pretty much been all DIRF guys that are pretty much anonymous with not a huge record to stand on.

Hence even the boutique agency becomes one where "its the instructor not the agency".

I admit that I have only done tech diving in SoCal and Seattle, and in seattle, usually have access to a garage compressor and private boat.

Hey I resemble that garage and boat!

Right, Marc had not taught in a long time as far as I recall.

More worrying is the departure of more "senior" people like AG and Andy Kerslake -- it's really hard to replace experience like that, even if there are strong differences of opinion...

You realize, of course, that AG is still active and teaching. He just issues [nearly identical] cards from another agency now. And to my knowledge, those cards have no expiration date...

You realize, of course, that AG is still active and teaching. He just issues [nearly identical] cards from another agency now. And to my knowledge, those cards have no expiration date...

I suspect the same can be said for most of the instructors who've left GUE ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Well, my understanding is that Tyler Moon not only quit instructing, but quit diving.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom