Queensland after GBR?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jplant

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi folks,
Happily doing a bucket list live aboard with Mike Ball early October...7 days Coral Sea which sounds terrific. I have a couple of weeks after that (8-21 Oct) before I head to Victoria to visit friends and tour about. I'd like to get a bit more diving in...looking at the Yongala out of Airlie Beach, Wondering if the diving at the southern end of the GBR is worth the trip out to Lady Elliot Island (maybe not the best time of year to drop the big $$$) or Heron Island? Some chill snorkeling time would also be fun....

Original thought was to hire a car and drive to Brisbane, stopping along the way, but what I'm reading suggests perhaps hiring a car out of Cairns for a few days, then flying to Brisbane and hiring a car there to head down towards Byron bay...Also can train or bus a leg if needed.
Any comments appreciated.

thanks!

Uh...You can't dive the Yongala out of Airlie Beach (unless you have your own boat).

Your options are either getting the boat down from Townsville with Adrenalin Dive, or going to Alva Beach (near Ayr) and going out with Yongala Dive.

I strongly recommend getting to Alva Beach and going out with Yongala Dive. There is nothing wrong with the boat that Adrenalin Dive operates, however they regularly have to cancel the trip to Yongala due to the weather - bearing in mind it's over 3 hours each way from Townsville. Going out to the wreck from Alva Beach is only ~40 minutes each way, and across a far less treacherous bit of water.

Heron Island is worth checking out for a few days if you can manage it :) It's a nice drive down the coast if you've got the time, but also, Byron is absolutely worth the visit. If you can manage to do both, I'd be doing that!

Apologies, working on the geography....Alva beach it is!

S'ok. I live up here - you're not the first person to make that mistake, and you won't be the last :)

Airlie Beach (the jumping off point for the Whitsundays) is actually a nice place to visit, though personally I don't find the diving around the Whitsunday Islands to be particularly memorable. If you do decide to drive down to Brisbane, it's worth stopping over for 1-2 nights and doing a day trip out to one of the islands, but I wouldn't make it a focal point of the trip. It's got a kind of backpacker/party town vibe, which may or may not be your thing.

Hi

If you are planning on being around the Gold Coast/Brisbane area...

Juilian Rocks - Byron Bay is a great dive I would go with Blue Bay they run a bigger boat than Sundive and you stay out for a double dive. Welcome to Blue Bay Divers - Byron Bay's Most Comfortable Dive and Snorkel Boat Very relaxed professional operation (and I do no and have used Sundive and Byron Bay dive centre)
Given the time of year you may see may Leopard Sharks and Mata Rays, there may be Gray Nurse sharks possible just a bit late.

Flat Rock and Manta Bommie - Point Lookout Stradbroke Island (off Brisbane) Manta Lodge and Scuba Centre : Stradbroke Island :: Learn to Dive - Online Open Water Course
Given the time of year you may see Leopard Sharks and Mata Rays, there may be Gray Nurse sharks possible just a bit late.

Flinders Reef - off Brisbane there are a number of local operators that dive here (I haven't used than as I have my own boat for this dive) typically on weekends. Go Dive run Fridays Scuba Dive Brisbane | Go Dive Brisbane | Learn To Scuba Dive | PADI Dive Shop and are a good shop. Go Dive may also run to some more remote sites that are not dived a lot. https://www.google.com.au/search?q=f...ef+moreton+bay
Should see good coral, lost of fish and turtles.

Further down the coast at South West Rocks is a spectacular dive Fish Rock Cave Fish Rock Cave - Dive Fish Rock with the South West Rocks Dive Centre Australia.
Probably see Gray Nurse possible hammer head sharks.

At Sunshine Coast (Mooloolaba) just north of Brisbane, if you feel like a wreck dive (sunk navy ship), on the ex-HMAS Brisbane. I have dived with Sun Reef a few times they were good http://www.sunreef.com.au/dive-the-e...ne-wreck-dive/ there is also http://scubaworld.com.au/dive-sites/dive-hmas-brisbane/ also a good operator.

I have chartered yachts in the Whitsundays a number of times, there are some okay dive sites but really it is best snorkelled. The better dive sites are towards the top (of the main group of islands) whilst Whitehaven Beach is to the central/south. Just north of Whitehaven Beach is Boarder Island, there is some okay snorkelling on the north side. The islands are not coral clays, they are rock with some coral fringe. Whitehaven beach is spectacular but it is a big trip to see a white beach
icosm14.gif

Great coral can be found at Heron island. There is accommodation on the island. http://diveadventures.com.au/pages/d...alia/heron.htm. I have dived this reef system but only from a 70foot yacht that no longer operates in the area.

Yongala Dive - second that! Definitely include this on your itinerary. I'm fairly sure they run a lodge there you can stay at too.

Yongala - There is accommodation above the dive shop. Its dorm style bunks for $29 a night. There is a caravan park nearby if you fancied that instead though.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom