Question about a wreck dive on the Sherman?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DeputyDan

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Coastal Scuba out of N. Myrtle Beach dives on this wreck.

The ship is a civil war blockade runner that is supposed to be at 52 feet.

My question is: It this an appropriate dive for a junior diver. My daughter has 13 logged dives - 8 of which are ocean dives in the Keys?

Thanks.

The Sherman (it wasn't named the Sherman when it was a blockade runner) is a very easy dive, if she had decent training it should be within her ability level unless you have poor conditions. OTOH, I wouldn't take a child to that depth. There are too many unanswered questions about high partial pressures of N2 and bone development.

it is a very easy dive even for a junior diver capt dan has a good crew and awarre of all the diving apest i dive that wreck several times a year with new divers , they will have no promblem his boat is easy to get in and out of !!!

When I dove this wreck last summer there were open water students on the dive. It is considered a beginner dive, and if she has ocean experience, should be easy enough, just be careful of drifting to far off the wreck with the current, you could get lost ( as always). Easy to navigate this wreck (pile of stuff and a boiler really), if you stay on it and don't wander off it.

There was one thirteen year old on the charter I was on, and he said he liked Barracuda Alley better than the Sherman. There's plenty of info on their site. There is probably much more to look at on Barracuda Alley, although I haven't dove it. Don't expect a big paddle wheel with a mast waving a Confederate flag, cannon, etc. , the Sherman is a pile of crust pretty much, but I stilled enjoyed the dive, and found some stuff as well (ceramic shirt button, piece of etched glass, piece of broken ceramic) and of course enjoyed the aquatic life. Have fun and let us know how it went!

She'l be fine. this was my first dive after my checkouts. and it was also my first dive in salt water. ton of aquatic life and a few good size sharks too. harmless tho.

Back
Top Bottom