Question about dives on Blackbeards Liveaboard

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Out of curiosity, won't personal privacy be an issue with the semi-dormitory type of accommodation on Blackbeard's Cruises?

I haven't been, but I guess that it depends on each persons threshold / requriements for "privacy" ...

I'm a card carrying intorvert, but I think I'm more than capable of functioning in as part of a group in tight quarters for a week. Plus, if it gets to be a bit much, that's what really good noise canceling headphones & the curtain on the bunks are for! ;-)

My first trip we did one morning dive on Thursday and headed back to Nassau spending most of the day sailing. My second trip we were close to Nassau and did 2 or 3 dives finishing after noon. I was flying at 8 am the next day so I missed the last dives. When I go the next time, I'll schedule an afternoon departure for Friday.

Out of curiosity, won't personal privacy be an issue with the semi-dormitory type of accommodation on Blackbeard's Cruises?

The very first liveaboard trip that we did was a Blackbeard's cruise. We had a great time and good diving and it was very inexpensive. I'm not complaining because it was exactly as advertised and a great bargain, but the experience made us realize that although we love liveaboard diving - we really do prefer more privacy and a few more comforts.

I think it is harder when you travel on Blackbeard's as a couple because we had to share a bunk which was basically a padded shelf in the galley with a flimsy curtain. I often slept on the deck because of the thunderous snoring and the uncomfortable space, and I wasn't the only one up on deck - sometimes you had trouble finding a good spot!

If I finally managed to fall asleep on our bunk then I would wakened very, very early in the morning when the chef started cooking breakfast. (Did I mention that we were sleeping in the galley along with a lot of other people?) And we couldn't nap much between dives because there was usually some meal prep or clean-up going on. I don't know if the other sleeping areas on the boat are any better but I suggest bringing a sleeping bag and ear plugs with you.

There was only one (primitive) shower and we were instructed to conserve water by first washing with salt water, then turning on the fresh water tap for a quick rinse to finish; but we ran out of fresh water after a couple of days anyway and had to shower in salt water for the rest of the trip. They declined buying more fresh water when we stopped at Bimini because the water was too expensive.

My husband laughs and describes it as "a boy scout camp at sea!" but I have never visited a boy scout camp so I don't know if that is an accurate description - sounds about right though.

We had a blast, the crew and the diving were great, the other passengers were friendly, the trip to Bimini was a lot of fun, and one evening all three of the Blackbeard's boats anchored off a small island (owned by a glass manufacturing company) and we had a wild campfire party on shore.

It was one of our most memorable and adventurous dive trips (and the cheapest!) and I don't regret it - but we haven't been back. We really do prefer a little privacy and fresh water - and a slightly more comfortable place to sleep! But everybody is different and it is a great bargain!

And I should mention that our trip was a long time ago so things may have changed. The boats may carry an adequate supply of fresh water now. I see that they now depart from Nassau and that's great. We were in the Bimini area and I like Nassau diving much better. Plus I got very seasick during the deep water crossing from Florida so a Nassau departure would be much more comfortable and you could start diving sooner. Have fun!

Last edited:
I have lead the Blackbeard's trip for Scubatoys in August for the last 6 years and to be honest it is always hit or miss. If everyone gets to the boat on time and the weather permits then we most certainly do a dive on day of launch but there have been times when the weather was rough or one of our guests had trouble getting in on time and in these cases we did not. However for the last day out, we have always done 2 dives. The dive masters have everyone's flight times and will certainly instruct you to sit one out if it conflicts with the decompression time required to fly out the next day. However from what I can remember we have always been back to port no later than 1-2pm which gives you plenty of time to decompress with a cold drink down by the pool. The Blackbeard's is my favorite trip, as on our trip we always have the greatest group of people. We have been lucky the last few years and been able to request the same staff. With Captain Nate and Kristy our Dive Master you can't go wrong.

Blackbeard's is a must for all divers at least once.

Kathy V, thanks for the reply to my query. Not that I was contemplating either the Blackbeard's Cruise or diving in the Bahamas but after reading so much about it, I was rather curious about the privacy part. After reading your report, I am glad that I did not get too curious. Certainly not my cup of tea and not my idea of fun; I like my creature comforts.

I highly suggest you try Lost Island Voyages. Much better crew and nicer boat. They do the same dive sites that Blackbeard does, just more pleasant atmosphere. Not as crowded either.

I highly suggest you try Lost Island Voyages. Much better crew and nicer boat. They do the same dive sites that Blackbeard does, just more pleasant atmosphere. Not as crowded either.

How does the pricing compare? I did not see any on their website.

Certainly to a degree, yes. The berth style accommodations do have curtains that are sufficient to change behind. I didn't find it a problem, but I'm used to traveling and staying in hostels some of which have dorm facilities.

I bunked in the forward bunk in the bow - I could pull a curtain for the 30 seconds it takes to change my shorts.

Shower - best bet to is to take a shower on the stern with the condensate hose - I usually did that every night vs using the actual shower. I am a big, tall guy, so I would much rather have a bunk in the galley - plus I would have the table right next to me to put my computer out to transfer my videos and pictures. I just booked another trip with them for September.

This time tomorrow I should be on my way to the docks to board!! :D

Back
Top Bottom