Question about Highland Tail Trim Weight Pouch for Doubles

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Aerobics111

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
This is the product I'm talking about.

I bought this to add tail weight to the doubles. When I put the two grommets through the bottom bolt, the weight is just sitting on top of the tanks, eating up all the space and I can no longer put my wing and back plate on.

Has anyone used this kind of weight pouch before? How on earth to fit it between tanks?

I did use a hard weight and I suppose if filled with lead shots it can sag a bit. But the description of the product does say you can use up to 5 lbs hard weight (technically true, the pouch is big enough for 5 pounder 🤷‍♂️).

Attachments

• tempImageeOPX7X.png
    tempImageeOPX7X.png
    420.1 KB · Views: 44
Use some spare webbing to make an extender for it. Cut a hole in the top and bottom of a piece of webbing to get it down below the backplate

I tried something like that and hated it. I opted for a V-weight instead, which fits snugly between the tanks. Like this one: Halcyon V-Weight Pouch

I would expect this to hang close the plate, hanging near where your crotch strap attaches to the plate.

do you have a spare bolt / wing nut you can use to connect it through a different hole in the plate?

I adapted a DGX v-weight pouch for tail-weight purposes. Instead of filling the sleeve all the way with lead shot, I filled it about 2/3 of the way, folded up the unfilled end, and ran a loop of duct tape around everything. It works quite nicely.

BTW, DGX is currently selling mis-manufactured v-weight pouches for $5 in their Bargain Annex. They've got oversized grommets but are otherwise ideal.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom