Question About MK V

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Gary D.:
What’s interesting with the MK5 is when you blow a glove off. If you're using the three finger mittens (not open hand seals) they are glued on right around the elbow area, depending on how tall you are. When the glove blows off, the suit floods rather quickly.

How many of you know what happens from that point? Forget the boys going south for the winter and the pucker factor going to Saturn, those are a given. :D

Ref. getting squeezed into the hat, that can happen. BUT, the depth has to be so great that the occupant would be dead long before that would ever happen and you would have run out of hose and com line a long time before that. :wink:

Gary D.
There are some stories from the "old days" say 1840-1900, where a diver gets mushed by falling off a wreck. I think most were caused by loss of air line pressure prior to the use of the non-return valve at the helment, or failure of the non-return valve and an air line break. Either one would result in surface pressure inside the helmet and water pressure on your body - which results in the Red Jelly.

Just another reason no one should "play" with heavy gear that doesn't have some training and is being supervised - checking the non-return valve is one of many major things that have to be done prior to locking the helmet onto the rig.

Two things you gotta watch, your non-return valve, and the head in the chamber.

Gary D.
Thanks for the heads up. We have a retired Navy master cheif who is familiar with the rig in our program. He is checking over it with a fine tooth comb. He will give me plenty of instruction before he will let me anywhere near the water.

Trtldvr
www.divealive.org

Gilldiver:
There are some stories from the "old days" say 1840-1900, where a diver gets mushed by falling off a wreck. I think most were caused by loss of air line pressure prior to the use of the non-return valve at the helment,QUOTE]

There were deaths from a wide variety of reasons. Some being depth and loss of air related. But most if not all of the stories of a diver getting squished into the helmet is just that, a story. The depth needed to cause that to happen is far greater than the length of hose connected from the boat to the diver.

Even if the diver broke free from the boat and fell to extreme depths, the pressure would equalize in the broken hose preventing this from happening.

Then who would even find the lost diver at the mega depth. Remember these guys were using 21% and hand pumps.

There are a lot of factors that would prevent this from happening even w/o a non-return valve.

It’s kind of like the question of how many SCUBA tanks one would need to make a dive on the Titanic. Can’t be done. A 3000# tank would not let any air out half way down to the wreck. :wink:

Gary D.

Gary D.:
Even if the diver broke free from the boat and fell to extreme depths, the pressure would equalize in the broken hose preventing this from happening.
The problem is not with a broken hose, but rather with a diver exposed to a pressure greater than that in the hose and no non-return valve. The hose does not collapse, but rather creates a direct pathway to the surface, sending the pressure in the hat to 1ATA and since the diver is encased in an airtight membrane (suit) that is fastened to the hat in an airtight manner, the suit attempts to invert itself into the helmet … and low and behold the diver’s in the way … that’s what makes mush.

I got to dive a MK 5 at school a couple of time. What a pain in the you know. I will stick to my Superlight 28.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom