Question for Opthamologist

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rick Inman

Advisor
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
I dive with soft contacts. I understand that if my contacts become wetted with the water I'm diving in, I should dispose of the lens (I think it's some kind of bacteria that adheres to the lens that can damage the eye). I was told that the risk of the infection is greater in fresh water than salt water.

I am doing a three day class this month where I am told I will spend some time diving mask-less, with eyes open - in both the pool and the salt pond (Puget Sound :wink: ). I'm good-to-go with contacts and open eyes underwater, but here's my question:

Can I use the same pair of contacts for all three days and then discard them? Or, do I have to wear a new pair each day?

I´ve done it with one-DAY CONTACTS, but don´t know if it´s right

The lenses are more susceptible to infection. Soaking them every night should be enough to kill any bacteria that gets on them. To be safe, just throw them away afer the class if you're concerned. Or do as Pug says - don't peek. Personally I don't open my eyes underwater without a mask. It burns too much. And I don't wear contacts.

I wear soft contacts 24/7 to rectify a specific eye condition and discussed this matter with the consultant.

His advice was to try to avoid having eyes open underwater if possible and to ensure that the lenses were thoroughly cleaned afterwards and then he didn't think there would be too much of an issue with potential infection.

he also said that the water can have an effect on the moisture content of the lenses. Salt water could suck moisture from the lens and cause it to fall out (he did say this was unlikely and would probably only happen if the salinity was pretty high).

More to the point was that fresh water could increase the moisure content of the lens and make it stick to the cornea. His advice was not to try removing the lens from the eye for a couple of hours after exposure to the water and to use a wetting solution (I use either Aquify or Blink) immediately after the dive to avoid discomfort and the possibility of damaging the cornea when removing the lens.

I ve been diving with contacts for over 20 years. With soft contacts the size and shape of the lens is dependent on the salinity of the water. So they get smaller in fresh water and larger in sea water.

I have never had an issue with infection or conjunctivitis but then I also remove them and disinfect them nightly.

Perhaps you should just forego wearing the contacts. That way you can dry-practice lost mask scenarios in the parking lot and on your way down to the water.

Contact lens patients that wear their lenses to dive should take several precautions to avoid eye infections. The following recommendations should not be construed as firm medical advice.

1) Disinfect the lenses nightly using a major brand disinfecting solution. There are proven differences between store brands and the name brand solutions.

2) Do not sleep with contact lenses following diving.

3) Check with your prescribing doctor before switching solutions.

4) 1 day lenses are often the best choice for diving (if available in your prescription) because they eliminate the possibility that the lenses may contain microbes that are not fully disinfected by the chosen solution.

5) Consider using 1 day lenses for diving, and use your regular contact lenses for other activities.

6) Should you experience any signs of eye infection, especially light sensitivity, pain, or discharge, see your eye care professional immediately.

Uncle Pug:
...you should keep your eyes closed. No peeking. :wink:
Uncle Pug:
Perhaps you should just forego wearing the contacts. That way you can dry-practice lost mask scenarios in the parking lot and on your way down to the water.
You're really enjoying this, aren't you?

Back
Top Bottom