Question on bouyancy

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FredT:
As for breath holding, treat it like a rifle shot. Full breath, exhale half or better, hold the half or less,inhale after the shot. Never stop breathing with full lungs. If necessary to stop breathing stop empty, or nearly so.

FT

Yeah I think that was my problem, holdng a full breathe. I will have to practice it more this weekend, actually cant wait to get wet now....well that always. :)

rhyz:
Yeah I think that was my problem, holdng a full breathe. I will have to practice it more this weekend, actually cant wait to get wet now....well that always. :)

This goes back to basics, like the fin pivot. When you stop breating with full lungs you should start to rise. When you exhale and don't immediately take another breath you should start to sink. If that is not the case adjust your BC and/or drysuit until you do.

You should practice hovering with fins still, and using breathing to maintain depth. I think many divers use their forward momentum to maintain buoyancy. That is a mistake. If you stop finning, you should be able to maintain your buoyancy in a stopped position. If you sink for rise once stopped, your buoyancy is off.

This is one reason that divers tend to run into problems when they task load. They *think* their buoyancy is good, but the minute they switch to a task and loose a visual reference (like focus on a compass) they no longer maintain their depth.

Yes Ron I have been practicing my bouyancy and breathing while I dive wrecks here in NJ and the quarry. I exhale or hold my breath to get into certain areas of a wreck without disturbing anything. I also practice it doing my SS and try to be horizontal and maintain my depth with my comp, still being close to the line but not holding it. Also I try to be as motionless as possible, without finning but I still do at times. I understand I have alot more to learn and I think after reading all these replies and me rethinking and going over my dives in my head that I lost sight/conciousness of my diving skills in general and "getting the shot" took over.

Looking back I can see how throwing so much into a dive can upset alot of things that I've worked hard on. So I see I need more dives and alot more practice to get where I want to be and it's just not me doing something "wrong" as it is more "being new" to everything all at the same time. Atleast I think thats what is going on. :)

Spend a few minutes on every dive practicing hovering. Once you feel like hovering is second nature, add some multi tasking to it, like hovering while doing math on a slate. Then try some skills, like hovering while doing a mask remove and replace. Do this for a few minutes on every dive.

I have seen U/W photographers who use their hands trying to stabilize themselves in currents running across them, pushing them from the side. If possible, try to apporach your shot from downcurrent.

Rhyz,

breathing is good, trust me!

Ron is right, bouyancy is the key & thinking you have it right is not the same as having it right. Task loading warns you that something is not quite right well done recognising it - too many ignore it & run into problems.

practise is the key, keep doing it.

as for your breathing try watching a fish & see how close it will come to you. take a normal breath & dribble the air out slowly, if the fish shoots away the bubbles are too big. when they come right up to your mask you have it right.

who are you diving with? someone with the experience to share or someone you learned with?

sounds like you don't know what to do with your arms anyway, try a torch to look in holes, try a slate to note what you saw & look it up when you get home and don't forget the camera.

don't forget the quarry has different water to the sea and therefore your bouyancy has to adjust to both environments.

s

Sylpha - When using the camera on my vacation (the only time I have had it) I was diving with people I didnt know. At home diving all my buddies are DM's and Instructors which constantly give me feedback. Before my camera I would hold my arm around my chest and "try" not to use them at all.

Yes I understand the difference between salt and fresh water and have for the most part my weight adjusted for either and extra equipment I carry. My breathing seems to the problem here if I'm thinking correctly. And I see I need alot more practice controlling how I breath U/W. But I quess that will come with more dives under my belt. And recognizing it wasn't to hard because I could tell right off the bat that I was doing something wrong but couldn't put my finger on it. And it bugged the hell out of me. :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom