Question on mouthpieces

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

All manuals state that, but it is rarely the cause, and usually a ploy to keep you from using non-aftermarket mouthpieces. The seacures are the ones prone to doing this because they create a venturi effect, the comfobites shouldn't do this. The second stage is still set too touchy. There is a fine balance between cracking pressure and inhalation resistance that should be balanced with the mouthpiece in place to make sure that this isn't a problem. It can be solved using the comfobites, just has to be adjusted properly.

Wife and I have been using Comfo -Bite mouthpieces for years on all of our Atomics with no problems at all. I can't see why Atomic would even care what you are using, just as long as you keep buying their very expensive Regs.

they put that in the manual and say it at customer service because they want you using their $14 mouthpiece instead of the nearly identical $4 mouthpiece *twin-bite mouthpiece btw is probably coming out of the same mould overseas where they're made*, you're delusional if you think it is because the mouthpiece actually contributes to regulator performance. It is true that some mouthpieces can increase the venturi effect inside the regulator, seacures are particularly bad about it but the Atomic/twin-bite mouthpieces also do it if you switch from a comfobite to a twin-bite, but that can be fixed during service very very easily and should be part of the tuning checks.

Does the purge valve freeflow when the reg is mouthpiece down in water, does it freeflow when purged in the air. If the answer is yes to either of them, the reg needs to be turned back. Most techs won't admit they tuned it too hot, or blame it on the mouthpiece because that is what Atomic says, but it's just not true. Again, Atomic will probably chew me out for this because it is an Atomic forum but it really isn't anything against them, it's against your regulator tech not tuning that regulator properly. Yesterday I took a buddies T2 and put a comfobite on it and adjusted it like I would during service and lo and behold, no freeflow.....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom