Question on repairing older SP Regs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AWAP, were the screws possibly 5-40s? it's another standard that is not too common but often mistaken for 4-40s. I have not looked but I would bet you could easily retap stripped 4-40 to 5-40 and use SS cap screws although you may have to reduce the head size slightly.

The 109 has the older poppet style. I will change this to the duro poppet since I have the part. It looks to be in pretty good shape - I would guess it has not seen much use since there is not much wear on it. The only part I am not sure of is the spring. How do you know if the spring should be replaced?

The spring is usually the last thing to suspect. If you're still having issues after verifying the orifice, seat, poppet, and lever are ok have a good look down the air barrel. Make sure there is nothing in there to prevent the smooth operation of the poppet. Occasionally, there is a compatibility problem with the lever and poppet. Lever height can also cause problems.

Only after you've ruled out all of the above should you suspect the spring unless you can see something obviously wrong with it.

Back
Top Bottom