Question regarding emergency removal of SCUBAPRO Classic Unlimited

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wow -- that wouldn't be all that easy to cut off, either, I don't think.

I think if I were dealing with someone wearing this, I'd dump the weight pockets and any weights the diver was wearing, then deflate the BC at least partway, pull the diver's arms up over her head, and try to slide the BC out from under her along the arms. This approach works fairly well with backplates with continuous harnesses, although the width of the shoulder portion of a harness is far less than that BC. But you might try that, the next time you go out to practice.

That is my favorite way to do this Lynne. You just need someone at the controls who can dump it while pulling the bc with one hand and pushing the diver back (hand on divers neck keeping their head out of the water) with the other. Some folks will tuck an arm into one strap like they are chickenwinging (I love that word "chickenwinging" LOL) the diver out this can make things a bit simpler especially if the person is a bit to large for the bcd in the first place.

Stability and head up of a BC at the surface is a really important feature and the Classic demonstrated this during our exercise. This is compared to the the Zeagle I was wearing, which can be tricky to get it to float you evenly and in fact when it was my turn, I tended to roll over to one side. It was also very difficult to keep water from draining off my gloves into Amy's mouth as I reached up to pinch her nose. We have since discussed better ways to pinch her nose from with my left hand from over her forehead, while towing with my right arm under her left arm. But clearly it's very difficult to not put water in the victim's airway when "rescuing."

remember too folks that while we do want to get them back to shore asap we will still at some point have to get them out of their kit. In some cases it may allow you to swim them in faster by removing the bc first. other times it may be benifical to keep the bcd ... i.e... so as to help keep the airway clear of water. Several things can affect this choice and you must be quick to asses the situation at hand.

Stability and head up of a BC at the surface is a really important feature and the Classic demonstrated this during our exercise. This is compared to the the Zeagle I was wearing, which can be tricky to get it to float you evenly and in fact when it was my turn, I tended to roll over to one side. It was also very difficult to keep water from draining off my gloves into Amy's mouth as I reached up to pinch her nose. We have since discussed better ways to pinch her nose from with my left hand from over her forehead, while towing with my right arm under her left arm. But clearly it's very difficult to not put water in the victim's airway when "rescuing."

And that's why you don't worry about doing it unless conditions are ideal and you have trained and EXPERIENCED people to pull off in water rescue breathing.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

Is my BCD retro gear and if so what's the implication? Thanks!

I would say so. The design of your BCD is a throw-back to the first ever BCD ever made.

Frankly, the chances of you ever needing to be rescued out of your BCD are minimal. However *if* it were to happen, it's a lot more complicated than removing a modern BCD, as you already saw from your rescue exercise.

R..

Diver0001 says retro, ScubaPro says Classic. Seems like a silly red herring, of no consequence to the discussion really.

To post a youtube, type [yt]the_characters_after_the_=_sign_in_the_youtube_video_URL[/yt] and you get

:thumb:

Diver0001 says retro, ScubaPro says Classic. Seems like a silly red herring, of no consequence to the discussion really.

Well... what's relevant to the discussion is that it's hard to get an unconscious diver out of it.

Granted, it's highly unlikely to happen...but if it does..... There is a reason that this style of BCD was only made for a few years early on....

R..

why do you need to remove the diver from the BC. Even if lifting into the boat, you could just ditch the tank and pop off the inflator hose and that bc has a strap right behind the neck that would facilitate moving the diver. Certainly it is a safer BC than a bp/w which will try to flip the diver over face down. The classic has a lot of buoyancy and will support the divers head better than ANY other Bc.

Back
Top Bottom