Question regarding emergency removal of SCUBAPRO Classic Unlimited

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The fact of the matter is that...Divers often dive with relatively little exposure protection. Some manufacturers are pushing non buoyant exposure protection as well and this seems to be more common.

Also why would the BC need to be removed before the diver is lifted onto a boat?

Little or no exposure protection in the warm water areas that draw lots of newbie or simply vacation divers (like me) who are more likely to screw up through rusty or non-existent skills.

The fact of the matter is that...Divers often dive with relatively little exposure protection. Some manufacturers are pushing non buoyant exposure protection as well and this seems to be more common.

Also why would the BC need to be removed before the diver is lifted onto a boat?

It's my experience that local divers are a lot more likely to be overweighted to sink 7mm or more of neoprene, thus removing a BCD from them will not make them negative in the water. On the other hand, I can't tell you how many people I have seen in warm-water destinations wearing 20lbs of weight (or more!) to sink a 1.5 suit or a 3mm shorty. Do you want to try to lift all that stuff out? I don't.

These divers could have weights in their quick-dump pockets, trim pockets, on a weight belt, attached to cam bands, and who knows how many combinations of those and others. You don't have time with a non-breathing, non-responsive diver to go digging around playing hide and seek with their gear. Keep the diver positive with the BCD, but when you get them to the exit point, get rid of the bcd and get them out of the water ASAP. It's easier for a single rescuer to pull a diver out of the water without the BCD on.

Obviously, equipment removal is always a secondary priority to administering effective rescue breaths and getting an unresponsive diver out of the water as quickly as possible. You have to make a judgement call.

if your BP/W wants to 'flip' you face down, you need to seek different advice on how to set it up properly.

- just noticed DD's sig line, way funny... prolly cuz it rings so true -
SCUBA Diving: The only sport where grown men will brag about how low their sac is.

The classic is one of the most durable (if not the most) and stable BC's out there. I have been using it since 1996. I have been using the current Classic I have now since 2004 and it still looks like new. No other BC would float you in a face up on the surface like the classic. The only time I would consider going to adjustable should strap type of BC is when I use a drysuit.

I can take the BC off in a rescue situation just like any other BC no problem.

Hi.
I wanted to respond to this post because I just purchased a White's Fusion Sport drysuit, which I have not yet used to dive. I wanted to get the rescue training/cert done before shifting my focus. It did not occur to me that the BCD would be an issue with the drysuit. I only (thus far) dive in tropical waters with temps at a low of 70 F. and mostly higher. I assume the issue with a drysuit and a non-adjustable BCD had to do with the bulk of the undergarments? Have you used this BCD with a drysuit and run into problems? Can you shed any light on whether this BCD might be inappropriate for using with the drysuit?
Thanks!

Hi.
I wanted to respond to this post because I just purchased a White's Fusion Sport drysuit, which I have not yet used to dive. I wanted to get the rescue training/cert done before shifting my focus. It did not occur to me that the BCD would be an issue with the drysuit. I only (thus far) dive in tropical waters with temps at a low of 70 F. and mostly higher. I assume the issue with a drysuit and a non-adjustable BCD had to do with the bulk of the undergarments? Have you used this BCD with a drysuit and run into problems? Can you shed any light on whether this BCD might be inappropriate for using with the drysuit?
Thanks!

The Classic is fine for me when I use any type of a wetsuit or no wetsuit but when I use a drysuit, it is too small to handle the bulk of the drysuit with the various undergarments I'd wear with it. If I had a bigger size of the classic, would it be comfortable even if it fits, I have no idea. I have had friends in the past who were diving the Stab jacket with their drysuits but that was long time ago and I don't know what their thoughts were about its comfort. The greater majority of my friends who dive dry are using some sort of an adjustable BC (not necessarily a BPW).

What it comes down to in regards to your Classic and Drysuit, try both and see how they work together.

The Classic (Stab Jacket) BC does not have front adjustability or quick release buckles. This particular design is what has made it popular in rental programs with reduced straps, buckles and breakage points. It does however challenge the diver to extricate themselves when fully inflated, making the "chicken wing" maneuver (noted above) as the preferred method. In addition, many instructional agencies disagree on the removal (or not) of the 'life vest' on an unconscious diver. Furthermore, the Classic BC is sold with the Quick Cinch tank retention system which allows the tank to be removed easily since it does not have to slide out.

If it was up to me to get you out?
EEZY CUT would see that you were out of it!
If I was diving this rig......."I wouldn't" I would have two EEZY CUTS I could reach with either hand to cut free of it.
I would seriously think about a different BC as soon as I could.
I have dove many jackets and some are easier than others to remove but if it is to tight they can be tough to ditch.

Be safe even if it means trying different gear.
I have been challenged a few times to re-think some my gear.
Please know that I WOULD CUT YOU OUT OF THIS IN A HEART BEAT IF I NEEDED TO!
I would rather help you buy a new BC than explain to your loved ones I failed to save you due to a tight BC!

CamG

I would say that after dumping the weight, deflate the the BCD at least partially and either chicken wing it off or slide it off one arm at a time. once on the surface and free of lead, boyancy should not require a full BCD (unless you have a boat anchor lodged in you ankle.... :) ). I do agree this looks like a pretty restrictive rig. I like to have the option of popping a clip and pretty much being done with getting out of my tank. I guess that is a feature to look for in your next BCD.

As for cutting the BCD off, I would recommend you take a piece of webbing and try cutting with your knife on the surface (without folding it over). Taked the effort to do that and multiply it by five. Remember, your main job is to save the other diver, not show your contempt for ill chosen gear . Cutting a BCD off is probably a pretty difficult proposition, especially if there is a person inside it whose head needs to stay above water. Widening the arm hole with a slice down from the armpit might work best to increase the hole size. Otherwise you spending too much time to look manly. I have never heard of any successfully cutting off a BCD in water (or even being in the situation of trying).

After much discussion, we went into the garage, found a piece of 2" Nylon webbing & a very stiff piece of 1/8" leather; laid them on top of each other & tried a pair Zeagle EMT shears I have had attached to the outside of my BCD for about the last 20 dives. It cut through the material like butter. In addition, I then used the shears to cut through a piece of stainless steel wire (like a big fish hook) - again like butter. I will still always carry a dive knife, but we have ordered titanium EMT shears to use in the Zeagle sheathes on the outside of our vests. All the shears are relatively inexpensive, but the "stainless" zeagles are rusting fairly quickly. cheers, Kevin

Scissors are awesome but like to catch lines when worn on your belt or straps.
I keep mine in my pocket and yes they will cut small cable.

When I said "I would cut you out" I meant IF I HAD TO!
Rescue training I would have tried to get you out but if it was real event, YOU ARE GOING TO BE CUT OUT!
It was made very obvious to me in my Rescue training that gear situations like this need to be addressed before you dive!
What does that mean?
You observe that the BC looks difficult to doff so you bring it up in the pre-dive plan if you are my buddy we would talk about it.
You would know that if it was required I WOULD CUT YOU OUT!

And yes I have done this just to see what or if it was possible!
I tell you your BC will cut like butter with an EEZYCUT!

CamG

Back
Top Bottom