Questions about Diving WEST PALM BEACH

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Force-E is a great dive shop right next to Singer Island and the Blue Heron Bridge. I'm sure if you call them and ask for some easy reef dives they will be glad to help you out (1-866-845-2333).
Abernethy's and Pura Vida Divers are both good ops. PVD's boat (Sirena) is smaller but it has a ladder that you can climb up with your fins on.

I agree that The Scuba Club is a great op for newer divers for all the reasons Splitlip mentioned. I did my advanced open water training with them too. The only issue you'll have is that they run a lot of one tank trips: though Friday afternoon and Sunday morning are usually two tank dives.

I also like Jim Abernathy too. If you talk to the shop and describe your experience, they can tell you if they are going to shallower reefs or deeper reefs on any given day.

BHB is a great shore dive too.

My 13 year old daughter had been certified for a year but had only a few freshwater dives. I took her to Singer Island last summer so we could dive the Blue Heron Bridge and go on a boat dive so she could get some saltwater experience before a trip to the BVI. I had not been diving much either. Force -E booked us a charter and Woody was our guide. He was fantastic. I would recommend him any day for a new diver. He was such a nice guy and really encouraged the both of us. She went on to get her AOW.

One more point about The Scuba Club. Get there a little early. If they don't know you or if you don't have a big log book and you haven't dived in while, they likely will suggest you to tune up with an instructor in one of the pools. Not always a bad thing.

Funny I showed up there with a buddy who is trimix and full cave certified. He only brought his open water card however he did have a log book with hundreds cave and deep wreck dives. The look on his face was priceless when Sam suggested he have some pool time.

I agree that The Scuba Club is a great op for newer divers for all the reasons Splitlip mentioned. I did my advanced open water training with them too. The only issue you'll have is that they run a lot of one tank trips: though Friday afternoon and Sunday morning are usually two tank dives.

I also like Jim Abernathy too. If you talk to the shop and describe your experience, they can tell you if they are going to shallower reefs or deeper reefs on any given day.

BHB is a great shore dive too.
My daughter did her open with Ernie there. He is a great guy BTW. My daughter was in her class with Stevie who today is a guide and EMT.
Two of my buddies did advanced with them and became members. I did a lot of dives but never joined. In hind sight, I should have as would have been ahead with the discounts for members. Always funny for me as I would wheel my gear up, and my buddies would come with a towel and head to their lockers.
I will still do their single tanks in the winter when seas kick up. No SI. Also, if I have no buddy, I am assured of an alternate air source being around with them.
Although I will admit, one dive, it was just Wayne, Margaret, one other regular and myself left. The guides all had taken Guests up or had them at safety stops and Wayne decided we would catch another ledge. We started cutting cross current fast to avoid getting blown off the next ledge. I said screw it, gave Wayne the signal that I was surfacing. You know the one where you raise the middle finger, and shot my sausage. He busted my balls at the surface saying I needed longer fins lol.
Often when I solo with them, I'll watch the guides and my gas and follow a group up so I don't need to shoot a marker. Lazy I know.

!I like a bit more south not to bash the Singer Island boats but last time I did a dive with JA's out fit and this was a while back after a few boats got smashed we were on basically on liveaboards,and the dives unimpressive next to a few Jew fish but the artificial reef was a dump site of concrete reminds me on Ft.Lauderdale's tire mess and the DM with the quacker!no going in cabin with wet suit,the dude peeing in his wet suit off the fly bridge,the hassle of transferring kit from shop to truck to boat and back and reverse on return and then looking what made it or not ! just IMO too much work!
Yes I am spoiled I like Boynton and any other Boat/ shop you pull up to the boat with your car and square away if you need help, or if not you deal with it,I hate dive bags and like a kit set up on tank ready to roll and fins&mask in hand= KISS ,not having some yahoos giving my kit a Caribbean toss in a PU!

That said Id base out of were ever you get good lodging at a fair price with a heated pool for the gang,My choice would be Pompano Beach now your central to everything!here is a old style Florida hotel we stay to get off the grid!

http://www.beachcomberresort.com/

Now to dive,
Make sure any shop /boat you book explain what gear you have or what you need and get to place early as this all takes real time! if you have wet suits bring them as they fit 3mm would be min this time of year,regs and BC's can be had easy, and know the lead you need for wet suits you use as lead is found on most boat s,
now I for sure many have great thoughts in pointing you out to the BHB but NO WAY! you have the tides,the freaking thief's that rob the un weary divers= not the locals as they know the nuance of the area this dive for a newer divers should only be taken on as a guided tour by a local or professional dive shop,instructor,DM or so on IMO at your dive level.IMO & only my 2 cents

Hit Boynton Beach UWE as said in other post's=

https://securec7.ezhostingserver.com/diveboyntonbeach-com/indexs.cfm

Kev,
runs a great small boat and if you book in advance-call, in water guide tours are the boats specialty among many other things as in great service!I would also ask not sure how many in your group they take 6 max out ,with a guide in the water to introduce you to the way to drift dive with great pre dive and between dive briefings by the boats owner or great crew, after several dives you could get the feel for it and dive some easy reefs in the 50' range with a great guide! after diving Boynton Beach offers some great eatting and places right next to the dive boats not some back alley in a whare house district some boats run out of ask Kev to point out how to find Huricane Alley! and yes Boynton sports some sweet beach area and a great park on the beach a block and a half from the boats! its got it all less a lot of choices on lodging just a Holiday Inn Express on the Xway,

I am not saying there are not tons of great boats from Singer,Lantana and down to dive with but many cater to seasoned divers,locals,spear fisherman,solo.photo,ect,,. IMO,

Now that your all pro's time to do a cattle boat dive experience! Give South Florida divers a call,they run several boats and many shops & hotels,cruise ships,ect contract them and they dive some real easy stuff right off Pompano,
http://southfloridadiving.com/pompano-beach.html
they run many trips at all skill levels and do a great job we try to get a dive in at least one time a trip,

Now all that diving its time to have some top side fun! if you base out of Pompano a short ride south is Ft.Lauderdale and the boys of summer are gone but man its changed since my first trips down in the late 70's,but the Elbow Room is still standing!

Hit the Beach Place=
http://www.galleryatbeachplace.com/
a parking structure makes parking and eating and yes shopping a breeze and yes the sites our will find me at Hooters Just for the wings!,

Next pack a few roadies-yes you can bring drinks on board! and hit the world famous Ft.Lauderdale water taxi
http://www.watertaxi.com/watertaxi/fort-lauderdale/ this tour is great as it covers many miles more of the intra coastal waters and the captains do a Great stand up job pointing out how the other 1/2 live the ones that make money off all us poor working stiffs and their toys mega yachts and multi million dollar mansions,This tour is well worth the price and plan to take several hours to do the complete tour or even a stop or two.

Just my 2 cent's ,
then if you have any $$ or strength left a day trip to Key Largo would put the icing on my cake and dive log book for a world wind tour of S Florida with a dive out Largo,

http://www.pennekamppark.com/
they run dive boats and have gear rentals on site, easy dives for newer divers, and a great park with tons to see and do!
Have fun

Last edited:
Hello,
Please take a look at www.oceanquestscuba.com We are a operation in WPB, we certify over 200 students a year, and we offer a small group environment, and we are very newbie friendly. Our sites down south are beautiful and range 50-60 ft. We limit our boat to 11 divers and we always provide a in-water dive guide, all of which are paid employees, with years of local knowledge and are there solely to look after your safety and enjoyment. Our instructor is onboard at all times, and is always available for extra help if needed. Reguardless of the operation, I think your find WPB diving to be very enjoyable, our marine life wonderful, and our area is very "diver" friendly with a good range of lodging, meal and other activity choices.

Thank you for your time...Happy Diving!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom