Questions about hurricanes

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Zagnut

Reaction score
I was wondering if any of you all would know what affect hurricanes have on diving conditions. When a hurricane or tropical storm(like Chantal, for example) passes through a place (like Belize, for example) and someone (like me, for example) were to travel there about three days after the storm passes through, what kind of diving conditions could that person expect? How does it affect the visibility and the marine life? If there is a substantial effect on those conditions, how long after the storm passes through does it take for conditions to return to normal? Your knowledge or experiences would be greatly appreciated.

.....but ask me again next week. The Mrs and I are headed for Cancun on Thursday, so we'll find out, as it looks. I can tell you that we've had other brushes with hurricanes and tropical storms. Lenny came in on our heels a few years ago while we in St Thomas, luckily we caught the last flight out the day he came through. Last year in Jamaica a tropical storm came through a hundred or so miles south of us and messed up the diving for 2 days and even on the third day the vis was still dramatically reduced, we left the next day. I've heard others say that it steers things up for a good while, depending on it's strength and how close it hits to an area.

That's what I was afraid of. Sounds like it may be even worse for you. The radar looks like she's gonna barrel right through AmberGris Caye and the Can Cun/ Cozumal area. We're flying out Friday about noon. I'm just hoping that she won't make hurricane status and maybe it might not be as bad.

Imagine a glass full of water with mud settled out at the bottom - now stir with a spoon.
That's what a hurricane does.
Rick

I can't comment about the tropics, but when we get just a relatively sustained rain here in New England, the visibility gets pretty bad at shore dive sites for at least 1-2 days due to the run off.

Now consider the incredible heavy rains, storm surge and winds from a hurricane.....

And, as Zagnut already knows, I put down a few words in the FYI thread I started.

Joewr

Zag I've been hoping foryour sake it would hang a sharp right or just make a good strong veer to the right and shoot the slot. If you end up on the west side that should help keep the damage to a minimum. Maybe you will get lucky.

Keeping fingers crossed for you.

Missed you and the missus last weekend

Tom

Hey all...

Hurricanes, as with other storms RUIN diving conditions for quite a while, even up to a week or more. They can move wrecks around and uncover lots of gooey stuff at the same time... the mud analogy was good, but make sure you use good ol' bottom muck, like you find in the mangrove areas, to the mix. Yeeeesh!

:all:

Zaggy,
I'm saying a prayer for you, and all my friends on Ambergris. They have been hit hard in the past, and have had to rebuild more then once. I think they deserve a break, God. OK? Please! With sugar on top.
:sunny:

Looks like we're in for a few days of muck diving, Zagnut. It's a shame that I'm traveling all the way down there to dive under similiar conditions as to which i could dive in here. :) Oh well, at least I'll be right at home, that is if the boats even go out. Funny thing about some of the Caribbean dive ops, if the vis is less than 50ft or the waves are over 2ft, they don't dive. I believe I'll phone ahead before I lag all my gear down there for nothing.

Back
Top Bottom