Question Questions about Jetfins sizing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MacDuyver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi, I've got some questions about my JetFins. namely the foot pockets seem kind of small and I'm wondering if I just have an old set that doesn't line up with the sizing chart.

IMG_3778.jpg

They're XL's and I wear a Euro 43/44. No problem using them with my felt bottomed wetsuit booties (pic below), but when I try them with an upsized boot (TUSA Imprex), I can't get them on with my foot in the boot. If I take the boot off and jam it into the foot pocket, I can get my foot in no problem, but I'm having trouble pulling the fins off.

I'm gonna go try on other booties bc it feels like the soles in the TUSAs are the part binding at the strap attachment point, but I'm curious, the sizing chart says I ought to be just fine with XL's with even heavy duty drysuit boots.

DSCF9628.jpg

I am exactly the same sizing as you.
I wear them with the scubapro 5mm boot.
To get them off easier (they do tend to stick a little) I spray the inside (NOT the footbed) with silicone.
Trying RK3 at the moment, foot pocket seems wider, but I need to purchase the heavy version, I have the standard.

They don’t look like the older horribly sized type (the foot pockets were much more constantly rounded on the front) I’ve got 2 pairs of these(like yours) just to cover me between wetsuit boots and the drysuit, the older type were pretty awful and had a huge blade.

The size is what it is, your boots should be thought of as an adaptor, you may find longer springs help by not crushing the boot into the fin, they don’t need to be so tight. Have you drilled a hole in the bottom of the foot pocket near the front? Jets without a drain hole can creat a vacuum as you pull them off.

Oh yeah spring straps massively help

I'm the exact size as you and just started using XL jet fins (which were described to me as the "universal size".

I wear size 10 REI NRS boots, and the fit is tight but comfortable.

The size is what it is, your boots should be thought of as an adaptor, you may find longer springs help by not crushing the boot into the fin, they don’t need to be so tight. Have you drilled a hole in the bottom of the foot pocket near the front? Jets without a drain hole can creat a vacuum as you pull them off.
Should have mentioned drilling the holes, makes a difference.
Thanks lexvil

Yep. I put a drain hole in them up in the toe.

It just feels like there’s too much friction. I’m thinking it’s the new boots. I tried them with my RK3’s for posterity, and they fit fine, but the sole gives some notable resistance putting them on and pulling them off

Yep. I put a drain hole in them up in the toe.

It just feels like there’s too much friction. I’m thinking it’s the new boots. I tried them with my RK3’s for posterity, and they fit fine, but the sole gives some notable resistance putting them on and pulling them off
I have this sort of issue a lot, size 15 feet. I have had to do things like sand down the width of the sole of the boot, silicone spray the rub spots etc. how much pressure do the springs put on the boot?

I have this sort of issue a lot, size 15 feet. I have had to do things like sand down the width of the sole of the boot, silicone spray the rub spots etc. how much pressure do the springs put on the boot?
Regularly, they’re snug enough to feel and keep the fins in place but not overly tight.

With these new boots if I try to Don the fins with my foot in the boot, the spring hits max extension before I can even get it over my heel. If I put the boots into the fins and then put my feet in, they fit like my wetsuit booties, but slightly more snug (noticeable but not uncomfortable)

3mm wetsuit booties Felt sole (US 10, Euro 43/44, 29cm)
82BF670B-5D58-443A-87F5-3D47480D77A4.jpeg

5mm rigid sole booties (without 3mm neoprene socked drysuit), sized US 12, Euro 45, 30cm):
E208EF98-B90C-494F-9DEF-A6B75A7059A8.jpeg

5mm boots with spring pulled until I hit the max extension cord inside (pic doesn’t really show it well, but this is as far as I can push the boot into the fin with my foot in it before the sides of the sole bind up)
D2E30C2D-17A3-4641-9CCA-474B6D897EBC.jpeg

Side by side (heels together). According to the sizing charts even upsized to a 45/30cm boot ought to fit into an XL

A925F548-FE85-49F6-9876-D85C4089EAC1.jpeg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom