Questions about Lake Ontario trip

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NYG1931

Registered
Reaction score
This august about 12-15 guys i dive with are heading up to the Kingston area to do some wreck diving. We usually go to the Brockville 1000 island area every summer and thought we would change things up this year and give Lake Ontario a try. i have done some reseach on charters in the Kingston area and some of the wreck to dive, i just thought i would try and get some ideas from you guys because after all you guys live there and know the stuff first hand.

Some of the places i have looked into so far have been Northern tech divers, Big Jims dive charters, Limestone dive center, and Quality scuba diving charters. Does anyone have any feedback on which place would be the best for us to use. We would like to do prob 2-3 dives throughout saturday and probably a night dive, then 2-3 dives on sunday, before we start the track back to Jersey.

Some of the wreck we were looking into were the Munson, Sheboygan, Wolfe Islander and the Comet. Am i missing a wreck thats a must do in the area??? Any info would be very helpful and appreciated. thank in advance

Mike

Limestone and Northern Tech both have very nice boats been on them a couple of times and they are very hospitable. Check them out.

Another good wreck to check out is the Marsh or the Frontenac both nice dives.

Hope this helps enjoy and hope to see you out on the water!

Alex

I've used Limestone exclusively in Kingston but hear good things about Northern Tech divers. My favourite dives in Kingston are Aloha/Comet, the Munson and of course the famous Wolf Islander.

Cheers.

-J.-

Thanks for the info DS and Johnny, one more question is what do you think the water temp will be during the month of august??

I agree with Steve. Even in late August I've hit low 40s at 100 feet like on the Munson Dive for example.

On the other hand if dive in Brockville you can have surface temps in the 70s and bottom depths in the high 50s.

Cheers.

-J.-

I've never dove with Limestone, so no comment. Quite a few trips with NTD, great bunch, mostly smaller boats (6 divers). Mixed gases available. And I've done a couple of trips with Big Jim. Larger boat (12 divers), not as fast, but very stable and sea kindly (I'll take that over fast myself). And Jim's a great guy. I wouldn't hesitate to charter with him again.
Surface temps mid-August will be in the low 70's F, probably low 60's on the Wolfe and mid to low 40's on the Munson (it's always mid to low 40's on the Munson). The deper wrecks, like the Munson will have better vis.
And a reminder that up here it's strictly look but don't touch the wrecks.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom