Questions about o-rings for battery replacement

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

elgoog

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi all -

I recently got an Uwatec Tec2G and dove it for a weekend. The battery it came with is fine for now but, according to the manual, it's at the level right before the backlight would be turned off. I'm going to replace the battery since I already have the right size as they are the same as wifebuddy's Zoop. I was also going to replace the o-ring and had some questions about it.

- Suunto and some Oceanic computers with CR2450 batteries use 2-026 o-rings. I couldn't find anything specific for the Tec2G but is it a safe assumption that any computer that uses CR2450 will also use the same size o-ring?
- Suunto manual says to use a "new lubricated o-ring" and Uwatec manual says use "Teflon coated o-ring that does not require lubrication". In fact, Uwatec specifically says not to use lubricant as it will "chemically attack the battery cap". Any ideas why this is different if it uses the same battery?
- What material o-ring is normally used? Other than teflon, nitrile, buna, silicon are listed on the Parker website.
- What durometer o-ring should I look for? Web searches show 70 or 90 are commonly used for this, with the latter being considered a little too hard.
- What's the useable shelf life of the o-rings? I'm not going to buy a 100 or anything but wondering if getting a 10 pack is worthwhile for 2 computers and leaving them in our save-a-dive kit with the extra batteries.

Looking at the questions above, it's probably easier+simpler to buy a kit off of eBay but, on principle, I refuse to pay $10-15 for something that's in the $1-2 range.

Thanks in advance,
elgoog

1) Suunto and some Oceanic computers with CR2450 batteries use 2-026 o-rings.
There is variation in the o-ring used even with the CR2450. I checked this when sizing the o-ring for my Mares Puck.

2) Suunto manual says to use a "new lubricated o-ring" and Uwatec manual says use "Teflon coated o-ring that does not require lubrication". In fact, Uwatec specifically says not to use lubricant as it will "chemically attack the battery cap". Any ideas why this is different if it uses the same battery?
This wont be to do with the battery but rather the material the case is made of. I cant imagine that o-ring grease would impact on the plastic, but would you risk it?

3) What material o-ring is normally used? Other than teflon, nitrile, buna, silicon are listed on the Parker website.
I am not sure what Uwatec use, but generally for scuba nitrile and Viton are okay.

4) What durometer o-ring should I look for? Web searches show 70 or 90 are commonly used for this, with the latter being considered a little too hard.
Since it is not under high pressure 70 should be fine.

5) What's the useable shelf life of the o-rings? I'm not going to buy a 100 or anything but wondering if getting a 10 pack is worthwhile for 2 computers and leaving them in our save-a-dive kit with the extra batteries.
If they are stored dry in a cool place you should be right for a few years.

6) Looking at the questions above, it's probably easier+simpler to buy a kit off of eBay but, on principle, I refuse to pay $10-15 for something that's in the $1-2 range.
I also don't like paying the inflated price, but if it is 'special' then maybe it is best to get one and check rather than risking your computer...

Thanks, Tbar!!
I'm heading to my LDS this week and am going to take the computer - they'll probably have the o-ring I need as well (I hope)

The battery is CR2450, yes but Tec 2G uses B024 O ring. Buna 70 is OK for all dive computers Orings, but you have to lubricate it with silicon grease (I have replaced the battery in several of these computers and never have an issue with the battery cap). If you get the O ring on ebay I expect it to be the correct size but sincerely doubt you will get the original Scubapro Uwatec teflon coated. You´d have to go to a scubapro dealer for that.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom